Clear Corner "SuperWhite" Bulb Help- PLEASE! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clear Corner "SuperWhite" Bulb Help- PLEASE!

I'm getting way too frustrated with this situation! I have Clear Corners and I have been trying to find "SuperWhite" Bulbs that will match my headlights. I would even get new healdight bulbs if everything matched. I just recently bought a whole round of APC SuperWhite Bulbs (2 3157's and 1 194 in each side) BUT, the bulb glass is slightly tinted blue, so when the bulbs are off in the day time, my clear corners now look blue. Has anyone tried the White LED bulbs? how do they match up with the headlights? Does anyone have any reccomendations of where i can get bulbs that will glow superwhite (not the dirty brownish white of regular clear bulbs) yet not be tinted blue? Thanks!

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's deffinitely from the paint, cuz they were fine until just tonight when i first drove around with the lights on. I used DupliColor paint to paint them... I'm gonna pull the thing apart tomorrow and inspect it.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it shouldn't be too bad to dry the moisture out of them once you take them out. you'll have to check and see if the bulbs look like the paint melted off them and fogged the things up. i know i didn't use dupli-color (the paint i used was whatever they recommended at paul's hardware for putting up with heat and having small well atomized spray). maybe now that its done it once it won't do it again and you can just dry it and put it back together and it will work, otherwise i guess your just back where you started and you'll have to buy new bulbs of some kind eventually. the answer is probably to find some led's and do it the right way or to get stock bulbs and "better" (more heat resistant) paint. once again i'm sorry. later -drew

hey man- it's cool! no worries- i know you were onyl trying to help me out to begin with, and i appreciate that. i just hope i don't have to get new clear corners! anyways- have you or anyone you know ever tried the white led 3157 bulbs?

Eric

if you do a search there is a thread somewhere about this whole topic it will be something like "clear corners aren't really clear" or clears look crappy or something like that. the general consensus there was to do the paint thing that i suggested to you, but i believe a few people may have ended up buying led's and trying them as well. if you find that thread you may find some people who have used those. good luck -drew

expo 5.0, where did you find that bumper grille for your truck and how much did it cost? Ive been looking for one for the bumper for a while now. Thanks, and by the way that is a real tight truck you have!

Painted Bulb Update-

OK, this is mainly to expo5.0, but anyways- i took the lenses apart today and found nothing wrong. the reason the lenses fogged is because i aparently didn't let the paint dry fully before putting them into the lenses. so, the fog on the inside of the lenses was just the moisture for the heat of the bulb drying the paint.

after all this trouble, i decided to just use clear bulbs anyways. :p so, if anyone's interested in buying a whole set of matching APC superwhite bulbs to setup your explorer for clear rears and fronts (2 3157 rear turn bulbs, 4 3157 front turn bulbs, and 2 194 front marker bulbs) let me know! all 8 bulbs cost $25 at the local Auto Zone. I'll sell em for $15 shipping included.

Thanks,
Eric

sounds good man, sounds like everything worked out so we've got that going for us.

as for my bumper grille and billet/grille shell upper (all one piece) they are from jbm sport truck accessories.

Originally posted by expo5.0
sounds good man, sounds like everything worked out so we've got that going for us.

as for my bumper grille and billet/grille shell upper (all one piece) they are from jbm sport truck accessories.

lissen, i just got my bumper billet yesterday, is it hard to install? I'm thinking of doing it myself. I see 4 holes and 4 screws. lemme know. thanks. Did you do your yourself?

Originally posted by I Can Defy
hey man- it's cool! no worries- i know you were onyl trying to help me out to begin with, and i appreciate that. i just hope i don't have to get new clear corners! anyways- have you or anyone you know ever tried the white led 3157 bulbs?

Eric

I have a set of LEDs...the only problem i found was that they are not very bright, because they are focused more to the front, rather than all around...i ended up taking them out, and I stilll have them actually...i should probably sell those things...

I Can Defy - Are the bulbs in good condition? and would you sell just (2) 3157 front turnsignal bulbs and (2) front turnsignal 194's? because I am interested but that's all I need for my front.

expo 5.0 How do I contact JBM accessories? do they have a website? How much was it? thanks.

4Wheelin-

Yes, the bulbs are brand new, with the light coat of silver paint. Yes, I would sell you just the bulbs you wanted, but I would reccomend buying all of the bulbs so your truck has a nice matching look...just my .02 and $15 for the whole deal including shipping is pretty cheap :)

let me know!
eric

alright jbm sport truck accessories is at 1-800-598-5555 or at www.sporttrucking.com the lower insert is listed at 110 and the upper (for the whole surround with insert intstalled) is 275. they are pricey, but they also look the best!

Back