Painting Clear Corner (Amber) Bulbs?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Clear Corner (Amber) Bulbs??

I got my clear corners today from procarparts.com. They sent me 3 of the 4, go figure. Ill have the other one here in a week. Anyways, i went to Pep Boys and got amber 194's and amber 3157's. When i went to go look at silver paint i got confused. After reading all the info i could find about painting the amber bulbs silver (so they are "hidden", yet still shine through amber), i am not sure what to get. i came home, asked my father and he didnt think the amber would shine through since you are covering it.
Can anyone tell me an exact paint to get, and any more info i will need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ProCarParts messing up an order, YA DON'T SAY. Let's just say that it'll be a maricle if you get that 4th corner.

Anyway, from what I understand, it only takes a VERY FINE dusting of the bulb with the silver paint. That'll allow the light to shine through. Nothing more to it, you just gotta do it.

should i still see the amber part of the bulb then?? pics would be great. am i looking for a silver paint, or a metallic silver paint? how many people have actually done this?? is it worth doing?

I actually did this last week. Just got some automotive spray paint from autozone and put at least 3 coats on each bulb... So that the bulb is totally silver you don't see any amber at all. Some peoples said the paint burns but the stuff I got didn't..Good luck. They look great during the day and stock at night when on.

Just curious, but why not get CLEAR bulbs..I got mine at WalMart..BTW,,,It's a 91.

For several reasons. There are legal issues in some places.. Also, some people want the look of clear during day but the orange lights at night. You can figure the rest out yourself. True, if you are looking to go clear all the time then clear bulbs are way to go. Personally, I wanted the stock look at night.

Ive also got the clear bulbs from where else WAL_MART"S and they work great for me no painting at all. I also live in Washington D.C. and we know how strict they are on laws and I have had no problems at all.

yes, unfortunately, it is illegal in Illinois to have clear turn signal bulbs.

Does this mod degrade the brighness of the bulb at all??

hornz2000: was it a metalic silver (shiny, relective) or just silver?

A light dusting of the bulb with the paint should be enough to make the clears look OK during the day, but at night the light still shines thru. "Coating" of the paint just blocks more light out.

Back