• Register Today It's free!

Cloud of anti-freeze from vent

kaised

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Bronco XLT
I've searched for this - apparently no one has had this same problem. I was driving to work this AM and as I was passing someone I noticed a visible cloud - almost like a puff of smoke - come from the center vent. Of course I had to smell it to see what it could be - definitly anitfreeze. Is this the sign of a bad head gasket or something much simpler? Any ideas out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many people have had this problem. Including people from this site.

Your heater core is bad and leaking. A new one is like 30 bucks and is easy to replace in a 1st gen.

Hmm, I thought they lasted longer than a couple years, I replaced about 2 years ago when I was in denial over a blown head gasket. Also no AF on the floor or anything. But that gives me a place to start I guess. Thanks for the speedy reply

Yes definitely heater core. Luckily FORD got this one right and as you know it is easy to replace.

Happy exploring

Chris

coolant in vents = heater core, its that simple.

Most heater cores have a lifetime warranty

Make sure to use your heat occasionally in the summertime to force fresh coolant to flow through the heater core. It will keep it from corroding as quickly.

Back