• Register Today It's free!

Cloudy backup camera

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
City, State
Petoskey, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

I've tried wiping it off, and making sure there wasn't dirt on the clear plastic camera cover, but no matter what its all cloudy.

Debating whether I should pull it apart...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing if the lens is clean that you will need a new camera. I think the lens is made of glass although I've never looked at it that closely but glass would be more scratch resistant than plastic. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps there is some condensation behind the lense but I don't know if that is possible. There haven't been any reports of that.

Peter

There's no condensation that I can see. In fact, it looks clean and clear in there to my naked eye. I might try taking that apart and seeing if I can wipe it with my oakley sunglass sleeve thats used to clean the lense of my glasses. Looks like its just four bolts under there and then I'm assuming it will pop down and out...

I have heard of this with other models. You will more than likely need a new one and I believe there is also a dealer computer (IDS) process for replacing it.

Jason

Follow up: Dealer replaced the camera, and now its crystal clear, and still looks great after 9+ months

Follow up: Dealer replaced the camera, and now its crystal clear, and still looks great after 9+ months
Thanks for sharing the great news, rkneeshaw.

I’m glad to learn that the dealer resolved your concern.

I’ll be here if you need me, and Happy New Year! :)

Tricia

Back