cluncking sound when front wheels turned all the way. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cluncking sound when front wheels turned all the way.

jlrapp8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
Hello i have a 2002 mountaineer 4.0 AWD. When you turn the wheel all the way to either side and are barly moving the car make a cluncking sound and feels like its get hung up on something. mainly does it when turning wheels all the way to right and barely moving either in drive or reverse. someone from ford told me to try changing gear oil in rearend. did that and made it a little better. but still doing it. please help. i dont know if its my CVboots, transfer case, gears it front end or trany. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front hubs are not disengaging,I have the same problem with my daughters 97 explorer ,I going to tear into it today,going to clean and repack the auto hubs and see if it cures the problem,I let you know if it helps

ok thank you. ya if you can let me know if that helps and how hard it is to do. i have done it one other time on a diff car and it was easy but if you could let me know how it is on this car

97 has no hubs

if your truck is AWD dont turn all the way!
I would suspect CV axles

serioiusly, if it binds at full lock, quit turning to full lock!

It does it even if its nt turned all the way. thats just when you can really notice it. so do you think its my CV axles? or would the AWD have anything to do with this?

I was reading her manual she bought for it and didn't notice it was talking about a 94 and back models ,her 97 dosen't have that type of auto hubs so it shoots that thought in the butt ,but that is the problem it is still engaged in 4 wheel drive ,the manual talks about it clunking like you mentioned,I talked to the ford dealer about it they said $75.to put it on the scope to check for the problem, they said it could be the actuator motor in the front axle is not working or could be the gem module in the dash??? lot help that does trying to save a little money for her

i can only do basic stuff on a car. so i guess i will probably have to take it somewhere unless anyone has any other ideas?

only 95 and 96 v6 had front axle disconnect

this mountaineer is AWD = power to the axles at all times (or at least when the computer sees fit)

How many miles on this 02?

if changing the rear end fluid helped you may have issues with your IRS 8.8 setup, a common issue on Gen III trucks
OR
you simply could have worn out CV axles
AWD = wears out CV axles

so how many miles?

also best way to locate the source of your noise is to do a shake down test = put the front end in the air, support the truck by the frame.
start looking for looseness, wear spots, rips in boots, rotate the wheels, cycle the steering, turn the dirveshafts, check for play in brakes/rotors, tie rods, ball joints, etc

there is 123000 miles oh it. i bought it used about a year ago. it had about 98000 miles when i bought it. also what is the IRS 8.8 set up?

IRS = independant rear suspension

8,8 is the ring gear size, just the type of rear axle/suspension you have
they are problematic

BEcause you said putting new fluid inteh rear differnetial helped the noise, I am leaning towards getting you to search this forum for known IRS issues with the Gen III trucks...

2002 was the first year of the IRS and the Gen III truck, the rear end had some problems

you want me to search what forum? changing the rear fluid only helped for the first day or so. than it can right back.

you want me to search what forum? changing the rear fluid only helped for the first day or so. than it can right back.

man i wish i would of read up on this car more before i bought it. my dad had a 94 explorer that ran great. had 340k on it. what happened to Ford.

LOL nothing, they are still good trucks

the first Gen trucks had issues also

Dont fret but it is true you should always be careful when buying the first year of a new platform

I hear this all the time in Snowmobile circles, brand loyalty is so far blown out of proportion, ski doo people hate polaris, etc etc but they ALL HAVE ISSUES

with the help of this forum you can get your gen III truck in tip top shape

just be glad you didnt buy a Chevy or Dodge SUV, you think newer Fords have problems... lol

LOL YA I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. i knew the 2002 were a new body style but stupid me didnt bother to think i probably shouldnt get year that they changed everything in it. im kinda worried about at the timing chain and stuff like that from reading on this website. cuz i can only do basic things on cars. and when i bought it had 98k on it so i have no idea what things the old owner did on it. just crossing my fingers. i had to replace all 4 brakes and rotors right after i bought it cuz they were all cracked and just crap. found some really nice ones not to bad in price. and the car stops as good as my parents 5series bmw

2002 timing chain issues were fixed, so you dont have to worry there! I am guessing you have the SOHC 4.0L then
you may want to keep an eye out for the intake O ring leaks

You can run a carfax on it and possibly get some insight on the repair history, tsb's performed, etc

true i will do that. one thing it does do is if you brake really really hard the tranny shifts into nutral and takes a little time for it to go back into drive. i tried checking fluid but you cant get to it. they make it where you have to take it somewhere to get tranny serviced?

lol YEAH NO MORE DIPSTICK FOR YOU! that would mean you could check and change your own transmission fluid! How dare you attempt this!!

I "serviced" the transmission on a 2003 Escape, I used the trans cooler lines to pump out a quart at a time and add a quart at a time, until it flowed red

it was a PITA and it did not get a new filter, but hey it worked! Esxcapae HAS NO TRANS FILTER that you can service!

I would check and see if your trans has a pan that can be dropped?

so when you are driving your 02 I have the fix for you

Dont turn sharp and dont brake hard = fixed!!
no seriously I have no idea, I love my 88 and my 96 more and more every single day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back