Clunk noise when coming to a stop

mtrExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
saint clair shores ,michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Just picked up a 2006 Eddie Bauer all when'll drive
I noticed when I almost come to a complete stop I get a clunk noise sounds like it's coming from under front end, or front differential. I can actually feel it when it does it,like it's the brakes grabbing hard.
Any ideas ???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard downshift to 1st like described in the TSB's that is fixed with the TCM update?

i dont think its a hard downshift.
is a front u joint expensive? is it hard to replace ?
it only happens when i slow down and its almost to a complete stop ,
almost feels like somebody bumping the explorer lol, but i can hear it clunk
thanks for the help.

I'm not sure what trans I have, need to find out.
It has a 4.6 litre V8 and it's all wheel drive.

Thanks for the info '
My trans. Is the 6R60.
Now do you know if this would be covered ?
Or will it cost me to get the trans. Reprogrammed ?
At dealership .
Thanks a lot.
The original owner had the trans module
Replaced at 81,000 miles
I bought it with 84,000 miles. Everything else seems fine
With trans. Shifting and driving

The PCM flash update was an hour of shop time charge because that the min at the dealership, only took 15 minutes. Surprised they didn't do it if they changed the module.

As for a U joint, if you have a Ujoint tool you don't even have to pull the drive shaft out (its a pain because the rear is a CV joint), you can do it under the truck if you have any skills. Its about a 15 minute job with the right tools and a little experience. Odds are this isnt your problem though, it would clunk more than just when you stop, mostly at low speeds I found.

TSB's are not recalls, they are bulletins that let the service technicians know how to resolve common issues. As far as determining if the TSB applies, you need a scanner that will tell you what version of calibration the PCM and TCM has and if it is not the latest then you need to update it and follow the shift strategy relearn process outlined in the TSB. Easiest way to go about it is to take it to a dealership and have them update it for you if necessary which is done for $$.

hey guys' just a update i ended up taking the explorer to local dealership,
they told me it has the latest trans calibration update.and the trans tech. said he didnt see anything else wrong with trans., front u-joint.etc.etc., my question is
i still get the lower speed bump when braking on occasion.
so my question is does the latest trans. recalibration supposed to totally eliminate the low speed bump?
or is this something im just going to have to live with

To see if it's a hard downshift to 1st, get to residential speed, place gear selector into 2nd gear, and come to a complete stop. If you consistently get the clunk, but do not get the clunk when stopping in 2nd, then you know it's the downshift issue.

its not consistent thou, when it happens .i did try what you said and put it in 2nd gear and did a few slow speed stopped and didnt feel it .
does anyone know if the trans recalibration should totally fix this downshift feel, or does it just reduce the feel of the downshift.
thanks for the help.

My understanding is that the update didn't completely eliminate it but comes pretty close to it. You could try putting the transmission through the relearn process again and see if that helps. The process is posted around here somewhere.

You should try changing your transmission fluid. Mine was done early this year and the transmission behavior improved significantly. Now couple weeks back I had accidentally battery disconnected (negative terminal became loose) and after reconnecting the transmission shifts now better than it ever did! I do not feel the 2-1 downshift bump at all (completely forgot about) as well as the 1-2 upshifts smoothness improved after the battery was disconnected.

I should note that my transmission pan was dropped, filter replaced, and refilled with Mercon LV fluid (not SP what the manual calls). So far everything is working great.

Another note that I do have Diablosport intune i-1000 87-ocatene tune together with Gibson cat back exhaust... The engine tune may have something to do with the transmission behavior?

Maybe I'll try the battery discount, and see if that smooths out the 1-2 downshift .
It's not real bad ,but some times I feel it more then other times. Kinda weird.
Was wondering what is this .DIABLOSPORT INTUNE ?
Sounds like something I would like to do, is this a handheld tuner ?

Maybe I'll try the battery discount, and see if that smooths out the 1-2 downshift .
It's not real bad ,but some times I feel it more then other times. Kinda weird.
Was wondering what is this .DIABLOSPORT INTUNE ?
Sounds like something I would like to do, is this a handheld tuner ?

I'm not sure if the battery disconnect alone will help much, if anything. What I think is that once my transmission fluid was changed the transmission behavior changed, but the transmission control unit was still used to the "old fluid" dynamics. Once the battery was disconnected it erased some of the "learn memory". It then had to re-learn the newly behaving transmission? I may be wrong but that's what I think happened.

The InTune i-1000 is a handheld programmer. It definitely made notable improvement in the engine responsiveness and throttle response. It might also change how the transmission operates but Diablosport does not make claims it supposed to tune transmission.

Thanks' for the info.
I think I'll so the trans. Fluid change 1st.
Is it a pain to do ? Any write ups ?
That handheld tuner sounds like something I would like
Do you know is it a set tune or do you have to manually change the parameters

I had my dealer do the pan drop, filter change and fluid refill. It was $199 if I recall correctly, which is quite reasonable in my opinion.

The tuner tunes comes built in with the tuner. There are only few options you can change by yourself. I think it is best to look details at their web site diablosport.com.

I'm sure there are more powerful programmers giving more tuning options, but I did get the intune because it was one of the cheaper (cheapest?) available and allows unlimited amount of tunes to be written. (Although only for one car at a time... to program other car you have to return the original car to stock first and "unmarry" it.) At this point I haven't found anything I'd like to change from the intune stock tunes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back