Knobby tire noise and clunk from front end related? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knobby tire noise and clunk from front end related?

DAO

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer AWD V8
Have a 2008 Ford Explorer AWD V8 with over 100k miles – makes a very distinctive knobby tire sound from the front which is even more noticeable after taking foot off gas and coasting to a stop. It’s also more noticeable when turning left. It’s not the tires – they are fairly new – been rotated and balanced – drives very smooth at 80 mph. Not sure about bearings either – jacked up the car and tried pushing and pulling on front tires (especially the right side) with no movement at all – very solid – doesn’t fail the standard wheel bearing test. This noise started roughly a year ago and has gotten worse over time. At that same time, I also started noticing a clunk coming from the front when hitting bumps or potholes. This clunk has also gotten worse over time and I can now feel it in the steering wheel – it is very noticeable - like the steering column is loose - can also feel it when coming to a complete stop. These could be related since they started at the same time and have each gotten progressively worse – or it could be two separate problems and a total coincidence. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you.

Sounds like a CV joint. Do you see any greasy goo sprayed around in your wheel wells, or on the CV boots?

It may also be your wheel bearings (Hubs). Mine went out at around 110K. I've read some going out around 80K.

If you here and feel clunking through your steering it could be a bad bushing somewhere. Ball joints, control arms, steering rod etc.

Back