Clunking and hesitation??

jabeggle

Reaction score
City, State
Kearney, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
2001 Explorer Sport 4WD 47,000 Miles

Heres the deal. My X has a horrible clunk in the rear end when stopping from normal or high speeds. It also seems like there is a rough idle and hesitation when accelerating from coasting or a stop. The clunk is intermitent and the rough idle and hesitation seem to be constant. Is it the tranny or plugs and wires or what? I just bought the car so I am not sure if they have ever done a fluid flush or anything like that. Its driving me crazy!! :confused:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The clunking is the slip yoke in the driveshaft. It needs to be lubed.

For the other issue you should check the TSB's for your model year explorer.

One other piece of advice:

SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

Thanks Jason_25!! I will have my dealer take a look at it and lube them up for me!! After i posted i did do a search and came up with the result i was looking for. Shoulda searched first!! :D

hey jabeggle: could you let us know how the repairs go. I have the same clunk from my tranny. I still have not had time to have it cjecked, but it sure would be nice to go to the tranny shop with a little insight so I don't get taken.

thanks

Jason,

I thought the slipyokes were non servicable on the 97 and up models. Let me know if I'm wrong.

mikeh

Slipyoke

Well i went to my Ford dealer and got the slipyoke lubed. No more clunking! :D Only cost about $50.00 with an alignment too!

Originally posted by mikeh
Jason,

I thought the slipyokes were non servicable on the 97 and up models. Let me know if I'm wrong.

mikeh

The slip yoke is definately greasable on my '97. The dealer was the first one to trace my clunking to it about 65K miles ago. They lubed it the first time under warranty after taking my entire front end apart to try and find the clunking. I have lubed it myself the last few times. The Service Guide calls for lubricating it at 5K and then every 10 under Normal Service and lubricating it every 6K under Severe Duty. I only lubricate mine when the clunking starts up which is about every 30K miles.

Hey thanks alot guys. I went to 2 tranny shops. The first one I allowed to diagnose the problem on their own. The result was a rebuilt of my differential. They wanted 1000.00cnd bucks. I said thanks and left. The second shop was a different story. I went in and asked them to just lube the slip yoke. They even let me watch. seems pretty easy,( just have to remove the drive shaft and slip off the boot and and fill it with the proper grease). They charged me 62 bucks and I was on my way. Instant fix. No more clunk !!! And no more howling.!!

Thanks for your help. Knowledge is powerful. It saved me alot of cash, and made my day.:redexp:

Back