• Register Today It's free!

Clunking in 4x4

sholzee

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4dr 4x4
1992 4dr automatic while driving in totally snow covered roads (no pavement visible very slippery) I hear a clunk maybe every 1-2 minutes or so. All 3 u-joints in the front axles are new (summer time). Drive shaft joints are old or original but seem ok. The clunk seems to come from under the vehicle and not near the front. It almost seems like the transfer case is switching in and out. The 4x4 light and light by 4 high stay on solid. Is there a way to check the transfer case or chain in it. All replies appreciated!!!:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check radius arm bushings?

Those are new this past summer. I did the grind the rivets off deal. The bushing are poly from energy suspensions that people on this site recommend. I did the axle joints at the same time and actaully pass side ball joints. I still have the automatic hubs and I cleaned and lubede them with automatic transmission fluid. The driver side plastic cam which slides on the spindle has a crack in it, but the sound does not seem to come from the hub.

Did you ever find out what it was?Mine 92 is doing the same thing,I think it is the auto hubs.thanks Brad in Iowa

I had this exact problem with my 91. I alwasy had a loud clunk every minute or so. I would say that one of your hubs is jumping the teeth on the axel. I then installed a plow. Well i chewed the hubs up like candy. Every time I backed up the 4x4 would disengage, then when I would drive forward the axels would grind inside the automatic hubs until they locked. I put a set of warn manual hubs from pep boys. $149 and a special bearing kit for $49 because the automatic assemply keeping the bearings in has to be removed.
This was the best improvment in my explorer ever. no more clunking!

Back