• Register Today It's free!

Clunking in rear

hwu77ytgsh

Reaction score
City, State
Greeneville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited Eco
So, my 2019 Explorer Limited Ecoboost has a clunking noise that my girlfriend says is coming from the rear. I've been trying to get it to do it and won't do it when I'm driving it. I'm also not having too much luck finding any similar threads to this issue.

Any ways...

She says on take off it will clunk and won't do it again. Then sometimes when put in reverse, it will clunk too. Today she was leaving work, put it in reverse and it clunked on her again. Then a message displaying "4WD fault service required" message come up on the screen.

I took it for a drive and nothing. But that message is still there.
So far. Everything is driving like normal with no issues to the drive train. I'm not hearing any roaring or whining noises indicating that the transfer case is the culprit. All 4 axles are intact, no play or obvious damage. Drive shaft seems intact with no play. Universal joints seem fine.

That leaves me stuck with the possibility of taking it to the dealership for sensors. I have wiggled and moved everything and nothing appears damaged or visually broken. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am aware that Ford has had problems with the clips that the axles are held in by.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you are experiencing "clunks" when changing gears, then it likely isn't anything to do with sensors. Sounds mechanical rather than electrical but then, I'm not a mechanic. The best thing you can do now is to check to see if any trouble codes have been set. If you don't have that ability, I believe some auto parts stores will do that free of charge. Then if you get a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) it may help to identify the problem.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If you are experiencing "clunks" when changing gears, then it likely isn't anything to do with sensors. Sounds mechanical rather than electrical but then, I'm not a mechanic. The best thing you can do now is to check to see if any trouble codes have been set. If you don't have that ability, I believe some auto parts stores will do that free of charge. Then if you get a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) it may help to identify the problem.

Peter
I have a code reader. No codes are on this thing. Like I said, it seems to drive just fine. Now I have a terrain drive fault message as well as the 4WD malfunction message. I'm beginning to suspect the differential is bad.

I have a code reader. No codes are on this thing. Like I said, it seems to drive just fine. Now I have a terrain drive fault message as well as the 4WD malfunction message. I'm beginning to suspect the differential is bad.
By differential are you referring to the PTU (Power Take-off Unit)? That had crossed my mind. Members have reported that a failing PTU can give off propane-type smells.

Peter

Sounds like a PTU or drive shaft related failure. Is the powertrain malfunction light is on. Is the car in limp mode?

You'll need a special code reader to read PCM faults if the powertrain malfunction light is on (the wrench). Most (cheap) code readers only read check engine lights.

Yes, if the lights are on, there should be codes.

Back