Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Does anyone know how the ECM communicates with the Gauge Cluster?
If at all.
Is the mileage stored in the ecm or the gauge?
Where does the info for the message center come from?
If I were to find an Ex with similar miles that had the Cluster with the Message center, could I swap it for mine that doesn't have the message center?

I realize I placed this in the stock section. Could go in either I suppose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02 XLT without message center. I replaced my IC recently because the odometer would not show up. Mine had about 200,000 on it. I bought a used one on ebay from a unit with 98,000 on it. I replaced the old cluster; a many-pronged wire harness plugs into the cluster. (Look at ebay photos of IC's out of the car). The mileage is kept on the IC, so mine came up with 98,000 when installed. I guess if the mileage was kept by the PCM, one could replace it too. It is easier to replace the PCM than the IC, but I wonder how they prevent fraud with these electronic odometers. It was not too hard to replace the IC; one big plastic part goes over the wheel column and that was a bear. There are threads here that explain how to remove the IC. Just be patient.

I have an 02 XLT without message center. I replaced my IC recently because the odometer would not show up. Mine had about 200,000 on it. I bought a used one on ebay from a unit with 98,000 on it. I replaced the old cluster; a many-pronged wire harness plugs into the cluster. (Look at ebay photos of IC's out of the car). The mileage is kept on the IC, so mine came up with 98,000 when installed. I guess if the mileage was kept by the PCM, one could replace it too. It is easier to replace the PCM than the IC, but I wonder how they prevent fraud with these electronic odometers. It was not too hard to replace the IC; one big plastic part goes over the wheel column and that was a bear. There are threads here that explain how to remove the IC. Just be patient.

Always a way to cheat the odometer. But with all the internet databases now, it's not possible to get away with much. Everytime the vehicle goes in for service or is sold the mileage is recorded. So yes, somebody could roll it back a little, but not like in the old days when you would just hook up a drill to it and let it run over night.

Catlin- did you put another non message center unit back in?
Or did you get one with a message center?

I put another non-message center back in mine. I don't think they would interchange. Both kinds were available on ebay.

Back