Clutch and Airbox Mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch and Airbox Mod

ExplorerChrisWay

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with my clutch. I had the entire system replaced about 3 months ago (everything except master clutch cylinder) to stop slipping. When I got it back, it was extremely hard to get into 1st, and would grind going into reverse. I took it back a couple days later, and they said it would just take a couple weeks for everything to wear in. It still didnt work, and I took it back again. They said it was the master clutch cylinder. I took it to a diffrent mechanic and had him replace it. It worked a little better, but not much. And now, each mechanic blames eachother for the problem. One says it is the master cylinder, because the slave cylinder would leak, so it has to be the master cylinder. The other says it is probably the slave cylinder, because it was bad before and after his work, and it may be the length of the slave cylinder that is wrong. Any ideas? And then, on this hot topic about people drilling holes in their airbox. Would the extra air going into the cylinders outweigh the benefiets of having a less dense air mixture?
Anyways, sorry for the long questions, thanx.

The airbox trick worked for me. I can definitely tell a seat of the pants difference in power. It also gives the engine a more rumbling sound when you get on the throttle.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4
What do Playboy and National Geographic have in common? Just a couple of the places I will never get to visit :(

Back