Clutch and gas pedal problems with firestone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch and gas pedal problems with firestone

truckinat15

Reaction score
City, State
Yorba Linda, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport
i have a 94 sport and just recently it became mine, hence my sixteenth birthday. So i finally get to drive all by myself without my mom and find out what the X can really do. It was tight for about 2 weeks then the X started to have a little trouble. It's a manual and lately its been shifting really hard, the clutch is hard to push in and it is very difficult to shift gears especially if I am downshifting to second or putting it in reverse or even putting it in 1st at a stop light. I didnt notice the gas pedal until about three days ago when I was driving home and all of the sudden the engine started reving like crazy after I had shifted into third and as i let off the gas it just kept going. I later noticed that the reason for this was that the gas pedal was stuck. The shifting got harder and harder and the gas pedal started stickaing more and more so I told my mom and she took it to firestone. The guy at firestone took it for a test drive and said he didn't notice the pedal sticking (yet amazingly after they had "fixed" it, it stuck 7 times just on the way home). So my mom took it in the next morning so they could get started on the five hour job. Heres what they did and what it cost-
new clutch set..........193.50
remove and replace flywheel..........397.80
remove and replace cylider clutch master external mounted slave..........70.20
new slave cylinder..........120.59
flywheel exchange..........67.62
thats what it says at the top of the invoice then at the bottom it says $520 in parts and $468 labor. The guy told my mom that there was some liquid that was supposed to be in the clutch but had leaked out.
So $1029.30 later the X is still having a hard time shifting the clutch is sooo soft that I stalled it three times on the way home and so did my mom who has driven a stick for like 7 years and the gas pedal (which was actually the first reason i wanted to bring the car in) was still sticking. The gas pedal sticks pretty much everytime I gas it all the way or get it even close to puttin ghte pedal to the metal. Maybe they did everything perfect and im just imagining things but my mom said the same thing about the way the dar is driving. Could anyone please help me and tell me if I was ripped off and didn't need any of that or if they just did a bad job. Thank you very much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the pedal getting stuck on the floor mat? is the throttle cable getting stuck because its off of its little groove?

truckinat15
It's common that the clutch will need re-bled after the 1st 100 miles or so. This is probably why the clutch is soft and it's still hard to shift. Take it back and ask them to re-bleed the system. Mine did the same thing then after one week I re-bled it and it's been perfect ever since.
The gas pedal sticking is a separate issue, like ok89 said it coud be getting stuck on the floor mat or it could be hanging up near the throttle body, get it check out again your problem could be dangerous.

If you clean the throttle body out I bet that will fix it. I use throttle body spray on mine and it fixed the binding mine was having.

If I were to get some throttle body spray were exactly would I spray it? Thanks

Just all around the inside of the TB and on the outside where the linkage runs to it. Also wipe the gunk that has come loose with a paper towel and have someone open and close the throttle as you spray (truck turned off of course).

Back