clutch inspection/diagnosis needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch inspection/diagnosis needed

Arnold D.

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
The clutch on my 96 started making some strange noises last winter.
Every time I enguage or release the pedal, a loud squeaking is heard from the clutch area. Any ideas? I pretty confident the clutch is not bad as the truck will stall if I let it out with the brakes applied. I'm thinking a bad slave cylinder or throw out bearing... What can you really see thru the inspection cover?

Does this happen everytime you let the clutch out or is it when you take off hard, on a hill where it has more strain? I had a ranger that if it got hot enought or had to be slipped a little bit to take off under a load or what not, then it would squeal. I got rid of it at 18k miles and i had 8 clutches put in it. The had to replace them because the pressure plate kept going bad. Might be the same thing as yours. It would do it in other gears too if i'd rev it up slightly and then let out on the clutch really fast. Let me know some more details, i'd love to be able to help you.

Happy trailes!

The noise occurs every time the clutch is pushed in or out, cold or hot. I've put over 10,000 miles on it since the noise started and have no additional problems with the clutch. I'm about to turn 95K miles...I may just replace the clutch, the slave, and the throw out bearing and be done with it....hopefully.

Not a bad idea, like i said that's the only problem i had with mine and after it did it the first time it would do it everytime too. If you replace the clutch make sure you replace everything that is right there inside the bell housing like you mentioned, slave, pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch, and i'd have the flywheel turned and get a new pilot bearing too. I hope i helped you some!

Happy trailes!

Back