Clutch pedal goes to floor when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch pedal goes to floor when hot

RLKBOB

Reaction score
City, State
Petersburg, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92, XLT
Hi, new here. A different problem from all the common slave cyl problems I read about when searching. Recently got a 92 Exploder and it has a weird problem with the clutch pedal. After driving on the highway for 1/2 hour or so(not using the clutch during this time) I go to hit the clutch and it goes all the way to the floor. I could pump it several times and it would build pressure to shift. I checked the resevoir and there was a little water in the boot inside so I figured the PO added some old brake fluid before and it had moisture in it which was causing the problem. I completely flushed all the old fluid out and put in new fluid and bled the system, then no more clutch problems for a few days. Now it sat for a few days and at the same point on the hwy I go to push the clutch in and no pedal. This time it did NOT want to build pressure. I'm driving down the street in 1st gear pumping the clutch like crazy and finally get a little pedal close to the floor(just enough to shift it) and make it to work. The fluid level is fine and now after sitting for a couple hours I checked it and the clutch is normal again.

The question is does this sound like a clutch master cylinder going bad or air in the system somehow?

I was about ready to go buy a clutch Mas cyl but starting doubting that because of how it only does it after driving for a while and not touching the clutch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bob

Well, found the problem but don't plan on sharing with anyone since not a single soul had any input. This is as bad as the S-10 forum. What a waste of time.

This happens on motorcycles a lot. Bad brake fluid. Heat, no Clutch.

Dude, If people have any advise or experience with your problem. They 're not going to respond.
Lighten up

Back