Clutch pedal slides to floor if barely touched. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch pedal slides to floor if barely touched.

fubar_mdw

Reaction score
City, State
hampton va
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt
I just bought this beautiful 93 ford explorer sport 5 speed 4x4.
The guy i bought it from said he put a brand new rebuilt tranny, heavy duty clutch and new flywheel in it.
I took it out mudding a few weeks ago and noticed if i try to feather the clutch to get over a hill or something it will go to the floor and i have to yank the stick out of hear and push the clutch back in to drive it.
Thinking it was the slave cylinder i tore the whole tranny out and put a new slave cylinder in it.
i just got it going again and bled the clutch with a hand held air pump brake bleeder.
same problems though still if i barely put any pressure on the clutch it will go to the floor and i have to pump the clutch once or twice to get it to go back in gear.
other then that little problem there is nothing wrong with the explorer that i can tell except there is this whine that comes from the tranny only when i put it in over drive i havent taken it out for a good drive since i put the new slave cylinder in it but we will see if that at least got fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ I checked it out i flushed the fluid through it and its not leaking anywhere from what i see.

Is there a spring? My 90 F250 has a spring tucked up above the parking brake pedal, that pulls the clutch pedal back up. I had issues with having to pull the clutch pedal up with my toe after every shift, and in researching the problem, I read that it's not uncommon for the spring to break.

My issue turned out to be the plate that the pedals hang from had cracked apart, and didn't supply anything for the spring to pull against.

Ya that could be it except i have never had to pull the pedal back up, and
it only does this if i feather the clutch or barely put pressure on it if i am driving normaly it wont do it.

Well my whole front passanger side wheel bearings, brake caliper, and hub assymbly took a mean **** today its all fried, found a junk yard and i can get the whole entire thing for 150 bucks.

just ordered new locking hubs, and going to pick up the bearings when i get the hubs

It sounds like you still have air in the clutch system. Bleeding these systems is a real pita.

Ya took quit some time just to get it drivable.
Guess Ill try bleeding the hell out of it again.

I've read about people saying it's a complete pain in the ass to bleed something relating to the clutch while it's on the truck. They've also had more success bench bleeding it before installing... maybe try that?

Well got my new hubs in today (just stock autos for now) began to tear down
the hub and come to find out,
the brakes are shot,
the rotor is fried,
the bearings are fu**ed,
and to top it all off i had to go buy the 2 3/8 in drive socket for the hub.
anyway after spending some money and alot of time on the sport shes back up and running just fine.
and the noise and clutch problem is the input shaft bearing.

got board and put this together as well

HPIM0801.jpg

this is the back side of the rotor notice theres no bearing or a place to really put one and all the fins are missing from around the outside of the hole.

HPIM0802.jpg

Back