• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Replacement Gone Bad

Justinwht

Reaction score
City, State
Rosston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT, '96 XLT, '00 XLS
I suspected the slave-cylinder was going out a few weeks ago when it took an effort to move the stick shift into gear. Last week it became a major problem - It sounded like it was jumping out of gear and I had to shift back and forth couple of times to make sure gear was engaged. Took it to transmission shop last Friday to replace the release bearing and slave cylinder, along with a clutch kit and new flywheel (original had chipped teeth from a different shop not tightening down starter, another whole story for another time).

Yesterday I was sitting in traffic on freeway and could not get it into any gear. Of course it was rush hour and freeway had only one open lane ... the one I was in. I don't recall how I got it in gear, I might have killed the engine. I cautiously took it back to shop. They bleed the lines. Today...same problem, but I noticed it only happens with engine running. It is hard to shift. When it won't shift, I push in the clutch, kill the engine while coasting, shift, then restart. This got me through the day. Could it be a defective new slave cylinder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be, or could be they don’t know how to bleed it correctly. Search for 410fortune’s thread on bleeding.
Do you know what brand of slave they put in? Luk and Motorcraft are the only ones to use.

Power Torque brand.

Screenshot_20210510-052129.png

Screenshot_20210510-052253.png

Took into transmission shop this morning. They could duplicate the difficulty shifting into gears. Pumping the clutch pedal (or killing engine, shift, and start engine as a backup plan) will get me by.

They said it was the master cylinder going out. Shop owner asked where I got the parts, told him O'reilly's and he said they're reliable. I use their First Call program where major parts half the list counter price.

@Justinwht

On this particular clutch system, any time you replace the slave cylinder or pressure plate,
you also need to change out the clutch master cylinder - ask me how I know ;)

Every component in this clutch system is like a BIC Lighter - a throw away.

Hope that helps -

I found that I don't have to kill engine to shift gears. While in neutral I pump the clutch a few times and am able to get it in gear. The will get me by for another two weeks until I have time to leave it at shop most the day. The hundred dollars to replace it is for the inconvenience of doing it myself. Sometimes its just easier to let someone else do it.

I suspected the slave-cylinder was going out a few weeks ago when it took an effort to move the stick shift into gear. Last week it became a major problem - It sounded like it was jumping out of gear and I had to shift back and forth couple of times to make sure gear was engaged. Took it to transmission shop last Friday to replace the release bearing and slave cylinder, along with a clutch kit and new flywheel (original had chipped teeth from a different shop not tightening down starter, another whole story for another time).

Yesterday I was sitting in traffic on freeway and could not get it into any gear. Of course it was rush hour and freeway had only one open lane ... the one I was in. I don't recall how I got it in gear, I might have killed the engine. I cautiously took it back to shop. They bleed the lines. Today...same problem, but I noticed it only happens with engine running. It is hard to shift. When it won't shift, I push in the clutch, kill the engine while coasting, shift, then restart. This got me through the day. Could it be a defective new slave cylinder?
does the clutch petal go to the floor real easy? that what my 99 did but only when the truck had gone a few miles and got warm cold nothing. you should be able to power shift that trans and only need clutch for starting from stop to get home but the shop needs to find cause and fix

Clutch pressure normal all the way, at all temperatures and driving. Pretty sure the PITA $59 master cylinder.

Back