How to: - Clutch Switch Bypass | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Clutch Switch Bypass

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
on an older model (93) these are the last two wires on the switch right?
sorry, im a bit colorblind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the 2 pink wires

Could anyone tell me what color wires I should be looking for to bypass this switch on a '99? My switch isn't working, and I'd rather bypass for $.10 than replace for $50...

sorry to beat a dead horse, But I need confirmation that the pink and white/pink wires on the clutch master cylinder are indeed the wires that keep the starter from engaging. my 98 explorer wont start and I think this could be inhibiting it. if I were to connect said wires together (solder), would this be equivalent to pressing the clutch pedal in to start the truck?

No need to solder anything. Go to Radioshack and grab a bag of the little blue splice connectors. They have one straight through hole and one hole that only goes halfway through. Just punch the halfway hole all the way through with a file or screwdriver. Use the splice connector to connect the pink and pink/white wires. This shorts the clutch safety switch so that you don't have to push the clutch in to start the truck. I did my Ranger a few weeks ago, and it worked great.

ok, i tried this on my 91 ex and nothing i tried both pink wires with a red/gray wire and nothing. help.

Just clamp the two pink wires together and it should work. I have had trouble in the past with these type of wire splicers, just make sure it is clamped on good and cutting through the wire shielding.

I did this over a year ago on my B2 when the clutch switch went FUBAR while I was camping, I never did fix it..

Thanks for the info y'all, I put the connector on the pink & pink/white wires of my 99Explorer. Worked like a charm :)
Thanks again, I had talked to a couple of "mechanics" & they really didn't have a clue, so the info saved me big bucks which I really don't have right now.

XPLORER SPORT.. Can I bypass the existing AUTOMATIC trani harness

Hello HVac Man... and everybody else..
Here is the situation..
I have an Explorer Sport 2000 5sp. MANUAL.. RWD, 4.0L, V6, OHV..
Is there a way to bypass or re-arrange the auto transmission harness to work AS and in a manual transmission as a MANUAL transmission harness?
Got the truck but it will not crank ... all lights and everything works.. but no click.. no sound whatsoever from the starter....NONE.. I took truck to dealer thinking it could be PATS ‘cause dashboard THEFT light will stay on even with key in, and they tell me that key program is OK ( NOW LIGHT GOES OFF AFTER KEY IN) but it needs MANUAL TRANSMISSION harness aka. Wir. Asy. Eng. Control.. aka. Eng Control wire for a MANUAL transmission.. it has an AUTOMATIC harness plus I need clutch switch... THATS WHAT THE COMPUTER HOOK UP DIAGNOSE SHOWS.. No other symptoms.. in theory ones that’s fixed, truck will go on.
NOW THE QUESTIONS???
Can I bypass the existing AUTOMATIC trani harness to make it a MANUAL harness?
Will the clutch switch by-pass previously described in this thread take care of my starter problem? without replacing the existing one nor the harness?
Is the harness different configuration altogether?
Does anyone have a harness diagram for both?
Does anyone know any source for the MANUAL harness?? P# YL2Z12A581DB
Does anyone has an out of commission 00 Xplorer Sport with manual train to donate part?
Any suggestions or help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you my friends...
AA ……….in search of a Xplorer SPORT transmission harness!!

I used awl to start my '91 Ranger for about 3 months and finally found this website yesterday - took about three minutes to fix using the methods described here. Registered to say thanks a lot for the help.

Note about the wire colors installed in my truck ('91 Ranger 3.0L 5-speed Manual XLT) - two solid pink sheathed wires in the 1 & 2 slot on the module

Matt

will this bypass effect the cruise control

I imagine that it will. the cruise control shuts off when the clutch pedal is depressed. if it can't sense this, cruise wont disengage.

will it rev the engine like crazy? that would be interesting to find out. the brake pedal will still disengage it. but in ANY sort of panic situation, my very first move is to kick in the clutch. its now instinct. I dont think it would be safe to do this mod and still use cruise.

I agree. I have not used the cruise since this mod has been done.

Some of the M5's have the neutral sensor on the passenger side of the trans, and I wonder if those 2 wires from it could be used for the cruise cut off. :dunno:

Hey guys whats up? I was searching for a good thread on how to bypass the clutch safety switch and was soon dissapointed that there was not much help. I then went out to the garage and started messing around with the wires and found an extreamly easy way to bypass the switch.

What you will need:

screw driver

wire strippers

Wire connectors

18ga wire

on/off type switch

Step 1:

Locate the sensor on the clutch pedal and remove.

Step 2:

Locate pink, and red/blue wires.

Step 3:

Splice the two of them together using a crimp-on wire splice connector.

Step 4:

Reinstall the sensor to the clutch pedal and your done.

There is another way to do it using a 2 position switch so that when the vehicle in not off-road the switch will work like normal. For this method follow these steps.

Step 2 A:

use a crimp-on wire connector on each of the wires indevidualy with a pig tail wire off of each one.

Step 2 B:

Run each of the pig tail wires into a standard two position toggle switch.

Step 2 C:

Refer back to step 3 to finish.

Pictures to follow in the next post.
good post helped me not miss a day of work thanks....

good post helped me not miss a day of work.... Thanks

Back