• Register Today It's free!

Cobra R Rims from my 95 Cobra

cobra621

Reaction score
City, State
Cambridge, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4x4
I'm upgrading my Cobra R rims on my Cobra to some deep dish FR 500's. I will have silver Cobra R 17x9 (Genuine Ford) rims from my 95 Cobra leftover. I'd love to be able to mount them on my 03 Explorer, but am worried about whether they will fit. Anyone here know if they will fit? Backspacing would be my biggest concern. What size tires are you guys running with these rims? I've been searching on the forum for wheel questions and have found some good info, but no definitive answer for my specific situation. Any help would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Tara

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tara, it will work.....but it will stick out about an inch or 2. Here's a pic if it helps you out:

Tara, it will work.....but it will stick out about an inch or 2. Here's a pic if it helps you out:

Are you sure? Those wheels shown on that explorer (cardomain) look like second Gen explorer wheels, which would have much less backspacing than 95 mustang wheels. To put those mustang wheels on a second gen explorer you have to use spacers. The backspacing requirements for mustang and 3rd gen explorers may be similar. I would investigate further.:thumbsup:

Are you talking about real 95 Cobra R wheels, which should be too valuable for using on any truck? I have 95-97 Cobra wheels that I've had on my 98 Mountaineer, those are 30-32mm offset, and fit well.

If you are meaning the real Cobra R wheels, they should have an offset which is close to the 2002+ Explorer's offsets. Your truck has 44mm wheels stock, the Mustang 9" wheels should be at least 32mm, but closer to your needs than a 91-01 Explorer. Good luck,

Attachments

• 98MntnCobrawheels.jpg
    98MntnCobrawheels.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2,120

Are you sure? Those wheels shown on that explorer (cardomain) look like second Gen explorer wheels, which would have much less backspacing than 95 mustang wheels. To put those mustang wheels on a second gen explorer you have to use spacers. The backspacing requirements for mustang and 3rd gen explorers may be similar. I would investigate further.:thumbsup:

You are right, actually, this is my 2004 xls xpl... the wheels came from my 2001 x sport... they stick out that far with no spacers, etc.

Back