• Register Today It's free!

Cobra Rims

Cdexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Deerfield, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8
I'm looking to buy Cobra R rims for my 1996 AWD Explorer. I read on somebody's post that you have to buy the ones with the part number ending in "M58". Is this true, because in that case I wouldn't be able to go Chrome ("C58") and also, EE sells the Cobra R's and they don't even have the "M58" as an option. If anybody could clear that up for me that would be great.
I'm also wondering if the 2001 Cobra R rims will fit the explorer...would it be the same setup as the '95 Cobra R's?

Regarding wheel spacers - what is the minimum size wheel spacer I can go with if mounting the 95 R rims?

Last but not least...I have seen plenty of pics of explorers with Cobra R's but have yet to see them in Chrome. If anybody has a pic of an explorer with chrome cobra r rims could you please send it to me?

Thanks a lot,

Curtis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do they mean a part number ending in 58? i think the letter indicates the wheel finish. for example chrome = C58,
machined = M58. i think the # is what you need, but you should ask a website that sells the cobra r rims. they will tell you exactly what will fit your x.

PUR PONY has chrome cobra r's on his X, just look for a post and you can link to his email and pics

Leenjen...that's what I thought about the letters M, C and R which is what had me confused. Thanks for the help :)

btw- Sounds like a pretty bad ass system you have...have you tested it to see how many dB you can reach?

Originally posted by Cdexplorer
I'm looking to buy Cobra R rims for my 1996 AWD Explorer. I read on somebody's post that you have to buy the ones with the part number ending in "M58". Is this true, because in that case I wouldn't be able to go Chrome ("C58") and also, EE sells the Cobra R's and they don't even have the "M58" as an option. If anybody could clear that up for me that would be great.
Curtis, the actual part number you need is M1007-R58. Basically you will need the Cobra R rim with the 5.98 (5.95)backspacing. The previous post you read about the "M58" was a typo made by me. To sum it up, the C58 will fit.

I'm also wondering if the 2001 Cobra R rims will fit the explorer...would it be the same setup as the '95 Cobra R's?
I think you're talking about the 2000 Cobra R, right? Take a look:
1007-R189.jpg
I'm almost positive the 2001 Cobra R rims aren't even out. But if these are the rims you are talking about, the bolt pattern is exactly the same and will fit however I haven't tried it and you WILL need spacers and minor cutting of the front bumper.

Regarding wheel spacers - what is the minimum size wheel spacer I can go with if mounting the 95 R rims?
The size tire you decide to put on will determine if you need spacers. I went with with a 1" spacer.

Last but not least...I have seen plenty of pics of explorers with Cobra R's but have yet to see them in Chrome. If anybody has a pic of an explorer with chrome cobra r rims could you please send it to me?
Sorry, mine aren't chrome.

Hope this was helpful.
-Willie

Willie, thanks a lot for the help. As far as the 2000 Cobra R..I made a typo on that one, I meant the regular 2001 Cobra (the one on the SVT) I think it's very similar if not the same as the 2000. I saw them the other day on a mustang parked next to my truck...with a little mental imaging they looked pretty nice on the truck =)

I was thinking about going with 275/55-17 Scorpion Zero's...Any idea about wheel spacers with this size tire?

Thanks Again

Willie, thanks a lot for the help. As far as the 2000 Cobra R..I made a typo on that one, I meant the regular 2001 Cobra (the one on the SVT) I think it's very similar if not the same as the 2000. I saw them the other day on a mustang parked next to my truck...with a little mental imaging they looked pretty nice on the truck =)
I haven't seen the new 2001 Cobra rims. Are you sure it's not a 99 or something?

I was thinking about going with 275/55-17 Scorpion Zero's...Any idea about wheel spacers with this size tire?
With 275's you will need atleast a 1" spacers. In my opinion, H&R sells the best ones.

i don't know how many db's it puts out, but it gets pretty loud.
i never turned it up all the way. i did 3/4 volume once, but couldnt sit inside cause it was too much. i change my system about every 6-8 months. i dont go for just spl, it has to sound perfect with no distortion. i really miss my audiobahn subs, they hit much harder.
i'm making a stealth box for under the rear seat to put a pair of 8's to add a little more midbass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by WillieChu
With 275's you will need atleast a 1" spacers. In my opinion, H&R sells the best ones.

Hey everyone. First post here. I've been looking into the Cobra Rs with the 275/55/17 as well. From what I've seen, 275 only requires a spacer of 3/16", and I read of someone else on this message board that used 7/32". I think 1" may be too big for 275. Check out the notation on the Cobra R from Explorer Express...

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/catalog.html?6301

The spacers from Explorer Express, do they come with studs? I have never seen them. H&R's spacers comes with studs and the smallest one they make is 1". If they don't come with studs, you better becareful!

When I oringally decided to go to this setup (back in June '99), Explorer Exress was no help at all. I asked questions about speedo accuracy and they had no idea. Take a look at their site also, everything is over priced. The Pirelli's are $30 more than TireRack, and the Cobra R Rims are also about $50 more than Steeda.

Kenny Brown and Steeda were the two companies that added Cobra R rims way before Explorer Express did. At the time, those two companies were more helpful.

-Willie

Yeah, I'll agree with you, Willie, that Explorer Express is way overpriced. The EE spacers don't have the bolt-on studs like the H&R does.

I'm planning on getting my Cobras and tires from Tirerack, though I'll check out what Steeda is carrying them for.

Thanks for the tip, tbomb...

I did look into gefracing.com as well. For those of you out on the West Coast like I am, I asked them about shipping and they quoted me $105 for 4 wheels.

Just got my Cobra Rs from Tirerack yesterday...

QUESTION:

Does anyone know if I can use the stock lug nuts with these rims or do I have to get a different lug with a different type of seat? Also, I'm planning on getting a set of McGard wheel locks. Does anyone know what lug size I should be getting from them?

hey how much were they for a rim at tirerack, i could get a price on the cobra r's

Tirerack charges $199 for each wheel, $160 for each tire. I got Pirelli Scorpion Zero 275/55/17. Shipping costs are reasonable. There are better prices out there to be found for the wheels, though $160 for the tires is pretty good.

www.gefracing.com has a good price on the wheels, $160, but they were charging way too much to ship out to the West Coast. Since you're in Illinois, it might be worth checking them out.

I decided just to go with Tirerack, since they mount and balance, that was just one less thing that I had to worry about.

yup tirerack is indiana and i could drive there if i wanted to pick up the tires, most likely i would go with gferacing, they are so cheap and i dont care much shipping is

Originally posted by 98greyxlt

QUESTION:

Does anyone know if I can use the stock lug nuts with these rims or do I have to get a different lug with a different type of seat? Also, I'm planning on getting a set of McGard wheel locks. Does anyone know what lug size I should be getting from them?

98greyxlt, I'm using Gorilla locks. IMHO, the stock lugs look really ugly on the Cobra R Rims.

Thanks Willie.

I got my wheels and tires put on last night. The guy there was able to answer my question about lug nuts. You CAN use the old lugs, but as you may remember, the stock explorer lugs are designed to work under and hold in the center cap (on the tear drop shaped wheels). So, you could use them, but they'd be hella ugly. Also, the seat type isn't exactly the same as what's supposed to be used on the Cobra.

I ended up buying 16 chrome lug nuts for $1 each, plus a set of Gorilla wheel locks for $22. I kind of had my heart set on McGard wheel locks, but the guy there showed me a box of stripped McGard wheel locks that he had removed over the last few months. He honestly recommended Gorilla and since I trust the guy, I went with his recommendation. The only thing that's kind of annoying is that the wheel lock is 13/16, whereas the lug nuts are 3/4.

So in case any of you out there were wondering, I called Explorer Express and here's what they say are the lug specs for the Cobra-R.

Seat: taper; 1/2", 20 thread code, right hand thread.

Oh, and anyone have any good suggestions on how to permanently tie down the parking brake lines? There was direct contact when the tire was put on, so we tied it down to the frame with plastic tie wraps. I'm afraid they'll dry out and crack eventually.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

baling wire maybe?

Back