• Register Today It's free!

code p0430 question

jimbolin

Reaction score
City, State
crosby,texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 door
I am trying to avoid replacing cats until I have exhausted all other scenarios associated with code. It coded right after I smelled that rotten egg smell which went away. It did not affect performance/milage. I do have a bad egr tube, would it leaking there cause this code? I just replaced cats around 08 and am trying to avoid replacement. I am also going to switch O2 sensors around and see if it could be bad sensor. Anything else I should look for?

98 5.0 limited

Ford has tsb for reprogram pcm for codes. Should cost you like 45-75 dollares ti have updated.
Printable View (29 KB)
TSB
04-7-5 DRIVEABILITY - MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC'S) P0420 AND/OR P0430

Publication Date: April 6, 2004

FORD: 1998 EXPLORER
MERCURY: 1998 MOUNTAINEER

This article supersedes TSB 03-25-1 to update the vehicle lines.

ISSUE:
Some 1998 Explorer/Mountaineer vehicles equipped with the 5.0L engine may exhibit a malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble code(s) P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 1) and/or P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold - Bank 2).

ACTION:
To service, reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B28.3 or higher. Replacement of catalysts is no longer necessary to address the most common causes of this condition.

Obtain an Authorized Modifications Decal (FPS 8262 - obtainable through DOES II, 25/pkg) and list the date, dealer number, and summary of modifications performed. Select a prominent place adjacent to the Vehicle Emission Control Information Decal suitable for installing the Authorized Modifications Decal. Clean the area, install the decal, and cover it with a clear plastic decal shield.

AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS

THE FOLLOWING MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE:
Reprogrammed Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Per TSB 04-7-5

THESE MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN APPROVED, AS APPROPRIATE, BY EPA AND CARB.
DEALER NUMBER:------------------------------------------DATE:

CHANGE AUTHORITY:

FPS 8262 9/78 FORD MOTOR COMPANY PRINTED IN U.S.A.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2004 Ford Motor Company

Back