Code P0761 after 5R55E rebuild, possibly band adjustment? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code P0761 after 5R55E rebuild, possibly band adjustment?

AKTEPS

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Hello all,

So my 5r55e in my 97 Explorer recently broke the reverse band. I also experienced a "clunking" when slowing down and braking, when it got to around 20 MPH it would clunk and kind of jerk the whole truck forward. No codes, but a few times the OD light would flash but turning the key off and on would stop it. I ordered a master rebuild kit with all new bands, etc. Sure enough the reverse band had a broken tab. I also noticed the valve body gasket had some pieces missing and a tear etc. Other than those 2 things, everything else actually looked pretty good. I replaced all the frictions, bands, gaskets etc anyways since I had them in the kit.
Now when putting it all back together I thought I had adjusted the bands correctly, but later on I was confused on which adjuster was which. So now I am second guessing which one I backed out 2 times and which I backed out 2.5 turns. Would reversing these band adjustments possibly cause this P0761code, or is it really a faulty servo/wiring? I made sure all the connectors were plugged in all the way. the harness didn't look damaged at all, but I didn't inspect it in detail other than just double checking they were plugged in all the way. If I reset the code, it stays off for a short while and then comes back on. IT seems if I am VERY easy on the gas it stays off, but if I give it 1/4 throttle it comes on around 3rd gear or so. It seems to go in all gears, but maybe slightly higher RPMs than I remember before?

THanks
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That code is almost always set with some other code. Don't recall seeing it by itself. I would check the case connector where the wiring harness plugs in for tightness and no damage. Also could be the MLPS/DRS i suppose. May check the plug connections on it also. Let us know what you find out.

That code is almost always set with some other code. Don't recall seeing it by itself. I would check the case connector where the wiring harness plugs in for tightness and no damage. Also could be the MLPS/DRS i suppose. May check the plug connections on it also. Let us know what you find out.

Interesting. The guidebook I had said to use an alignment tool when installing the MLPS. I didn't have that tool so basically eyeballed it, lining up to the previous scratch marks from the lockwashers. Maybe there is a better way to adjust that in lieu of the alignment tool?

If you struggled to remove it before rebuild it is very likely damaged. There is a small line on the 2 pieces with a N on the stationary part you can use to line it up.

If you struggled to remove it before rebuild it is very likely damaged. There is a small line on the 2 pieces with a N on the stationary part you can use to line it up.

Ok, finally had some time yesterday to look at it. I pulled off the shift cable and the lever over the switch and unplugged everything on the tranny including the bulkhead plug. I put it in neutral, and those 2 lines on the sensor did in fact line up. I inspected the plugs and everything looked ok as far as I could tell. I plugged everything back in and reinstalled the cable and lever etc. I reset the codes and started it up. Everything seemed fine. Drove all the way in to work today, on freeway and backroads. So far no check engine light. Maybe a loose connector? I might get some of that electrical connector cleaner spray at Radio Shack and just spray all the connectors. I know they got tranny fluid on most of them during removal and rebuild etc.

Good to hear. CRC makes a good cleaner for electronic plugs and parts. I also use dielectric paste on all connections. Thanks for the update.

Back