• Register Today It's free!

Code Reader question

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
I did a search but did not find a definite answer. I know a reader will tell me what set a CEL.

My question is, I was reading about them and it says they will give me a pending code (one that has not yet set a CEL). Does this mean if I have a sensor or component malfunctioning it will let me know which one???

I know a Scanner will tell me everything I need to know but who can afford them.

In case anyone is looking...

The one I am looking at is at Checker. The Equus 3100
OBD II Code Reader. It is on sale right now for $100.00 it seems like a good deal. Normally $150.00

not 100% sure, but i think only an actual scanner will say what is wrong.... with codes, you must determine from which code something is wrong and then try to track down its problem.... example: lets make a #123 that means rich oxygen gas mixture... lets say #321 is lean oxygen gas mixture --- from that it is likely to say you have a bad 02 sensor

A code reader will tell you what code set the CEL. You can look up the code, and get the component. The difference between a code reader and scanner is a scanner allows you to monitor many sensors in "real time" and gives you values, etc. The values (know as PID's) are usually monitored to verfiy the defective part(s) as indicated by the code. Just because you get a code does to mean you automatically buy a new part and slap it on, you must first verify the part indicated is indeed defective and needs replacement.

I had that Equus unit a long time ago, it's not bad for a code reader. For $100 it's probably worth it. Use it one time and it's basically paid for itself. I've since moved up to a full scan tool, several of them actually. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jimabena74
not 100% sure, but i think only an actual scanner will say what is wrong....

A scanner does not tell you what is wrong, it gives you codes and allows you to monitor functions.

Back