Code scanner recomendations for 02 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code scanner recomendations for 02 Explorer?

Woolval

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hi all, I'm a new forum member and this is my first post. I have a 02 XLT that just started stalling, missing, running rough and exhaust smells bad. My Service Engine Soon light came on when this problem began. I have 108K miles and I do all my own maintenance (when possible). I'm looking for a code scanner to help me troubleshoot my problem, but everything I read talks about the "Check Engine" light, not the SES light. Has anyone used a code scanner they would recommend? Thanks for any help. I'm trying to stay away from the dealer if possible!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Al. I've sent them an email to see if their scanner will diagnose the Service Engine Soon light. Waiting for an answer...

Val

Update: I spoke with tech support at AutoXray and he informed me that my Explorer amber Service Engine Soon light is the light indicating a code that their product can scan. He said the red Check Engine light is for immediate overheating or low oil problems. On my way to pick up a code reader locally.

Thanks again.
Val

next update: I bought the AutoTap scanner. (http://www.autotap.com/productcat.asp?topLevelid=36) This morning I ran my first scan and the DTC codes seem to point to my MAF sensor. I'll look for ways to troubleshoot the MAF, but if anyone has experience in troubleshooting the MAF I would appreciate some guidance! Below are my codes:
Confirmed Diagnostic Trouble Codes:
Code: Description:
P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Frequency
P0113 Intake Air Temperature [IAT] Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P0172 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1
P0175 Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 2
P1121 Throttle Position Sensor A Inconsistent With Mass Air Flow Sensor
P1132 Lack Of HO2S11 Switches - Sensor Indicates Rich
P1152 Lack Of HO2S21 Switches - Sensor Indicates Rich

Sybertiger, I enjoyed reading your repair where you found the rubber elbow had collapsed. Great troubleshooting and supporting photos!

Off to search for MAF troubleshooting methods!!

Thanks to all,
Val

Update: Car running perfect, no error codes!! I did a lot of searching online for ways to troubleshoot the MAF, a few places said to disconnect it and drive the car to see if it runs better. My Explorer ran a little better, so I cleared the DTC's and went for a test drive. After about 5 miles (and after turning ignition off, then back on) my SES light came back on. This time I had the following DTC's:
P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Frequency
P0113 Intake Air Temperature [IAT] Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

Now my errors P1132 and P1152 are gone. I still have the errors for my MAF. So, after much painful second guessing, I bit the bullet and went to Autozone to buy a MAF for $114.00. I installed it and started the Explorer. Immediately it was running better. I went for a 5 mile test drive and it's running good, plus no more SES light. I got home and ran another scan with the AutoTap and got this:
Check Engine Light: OFF
P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

It looks like I need to drive more so the code P1000 has enough time to clear, but no more errors for MAF or the oxygen sensors detecting "rich".

I'll drive more and run another scan in a couple days to see if that P1000 clears. Thanks to aldive and Sybertiger for taking the time to help me out.

It feels good to have done this without taking it to the dealer. Although... in the end, I might have spent less at the dealer! So far I spent $300 for the AutoTap (I added the Enhanced DTC for Ford at a cost of $99 more, bringing it to $300), $120 for the MAF (with tax) plus another $18 for a torx security set and some MAF cleaner. Wow!! Over $400 to "do-it-myself". The good news is I've got the AutoTap for my wifes car, friends cars, dads cars, etc...

Thanks again!
Val aka Woolval

I am not familiar with this model (heck, I'm only familiar with my AutoTap!) so I can not offer an advice. I bought the AutoTap (www.autotap.com/welcome.asp) and I am very impressed with it. Plus, AutoTap has a guy available for instant chat to help you with the unit as well as the codes you get. Both the AutoTap and ELM327 are software that loads on your laptop, so in that respect they are similar.

Good luck!

Woolval

Back