• Register Today It's free!

Codes 112 and 511

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
My CEL has started to come on for 5 seconds every 10 mins or so after the truck has warmed up. It has only come on when cruising normally, not at a stop light yet. I scanned for codes, and if I'm reading it right I'm getting 511 and 112. I hear 511 is normal for the Apten chip and 112 indicates the IAT circuit it grounded/above 245 degrees. I tested the IAT at room temp and when the engine was warmed up, and the resistance is where it should be. The voltage to the sensor was 4.7v, close enough to 5.

Should I plunk down $15-25 for a new one or is there something else I should be looking at?

Note that my KKM hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not sucking in much more air if it matters...

Was the 112 a KOEO (Key On, Engine Off), continuous memory, KOER (Key On Engine Running) code? If KOEO, repeat the test when you know the engine is at operating temperature. The computer will throw that code if the IAT is too cold during the KOEO & KOER tests. If it's a continuos memory code and the tests were done properly, then inspect the wiring for any problems (breaks, cuts, poor connections) before replacing the sensor.

Back