Codes and crazy start and idel problem! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Codes and crazy start and idel problem!

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
Hey all looking for some help or direction here
1st what I know
93 XLT 4 door explorers with an auto tranny and 4x4

Codes locked in are CM codes 172/ 173/ 176

Other symptoms
Cold start hunts for an Idle RPM after a minute or two of a steady Idle. It’s a hunt of 500 + or - rpms. Once given some gas that stops for good and will not return unless it is another full cold start

CEL comes and gob’s comes on when sitting at an Idle for a stop light or two. turns off when run at 40 MPH for about 1 plus miles and will not return unless a long idle again (stop lights, fast food drive threw, things like that.)

Gas mileage is about 16 to 17 on the HWY and that is a drop of about 1 to 1.5 miles per gal. City never track but seams as bad as ever.
No smell of over rich at all and other wise runs great but for a small stumble / miss at any idle.

What’s been done

Codes cleared both by battery and fuse pull after I try any thing and also just to clear and see if the come back and they always do.

TPS check and okay
MAF cleaned with MAF cleaner
Air tube checked and okay
Air valve on intake (can not recall name) checked cleaned any way and works okay
O2 wires not pinch and physically check out okay
Cat may be bad as it almost will not pass Calif smog from high Nox levels I believe its a cat problem as OEM cat was replaced years back (2002) with a universal single cat when that was legal. Have had a running rich problem before this from a UIM leak that was fixed and the LIM was check and tightened at the time.
New plugs and wires Autolight for both
Col checks out okay
Injectors have been checked and are okay as of time of UIM and fuel rail gasket replacement. Problem showed up abut one year later.

Well that is the history and what I have done. now I did search and most seam to have a problem only when warmed up and I would have to say that is when I do throw the codes but as for the Idle going bad then that only happens when cold as when the CEL comes on there is a small drop in idle but I notice nothing in power as a change at all. This has been an on and off problem for a few years and during it I have changed O2 sensors done tune ups many oil changes cleaning of the K and N filter and so on with nothing ever seaming to set a pattern of what or how come but the cold start and Idle. Now one time and only one time it did back fire and pop a bit set a CEL as I went down a long steep grade but as soon as I was on the flats a mile or so later it went out just like now. It never has gone on when pulling a trailer or pushing it up a hill and that is why I am just flat lost now so HELP!

O one last point can not throw any money at it for at lest a month sadly so looking for ideas and free thing now that may lead to the final fix then.

I do have a 94 XLT 2x4 auto sitting here I can take parts from just to try as its a family members truck that I am doing a top end rebuild on so that a good thing at lest one catch its a Calif truck with an EGR and mine is a 49 state truck with no EGR thankfully LOL.
Looking forward to reading replies.

Back