Codes for my 94 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Codes for my 94 Explorer

...I hope this resolves your problem but I am concerned with you getting the 327 now when you put the old sensor in, and you never got it before..:(...Have you checked the wires and pins to see if they are seating properly in the connector?

I thought of that too, but if I replace the DPFE with a new Ford DPFE, then I kill the possible bad connector issue as well, since I have to replace the connector. It needs to be done, since the old one is shot, which is evident by the surging and CLE at high RPM that went away when I replaced it, and came back when I put it back in.

It runs fine with the new AZ DPFE, it just won't pass smog with the friggin light on. So, I am hoping that the new OEM part will allow me to run it for a while, at least long enough to go pass smog.
Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tbars4;2397295..This thread might be worth a read too.. [url said:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234040[/url]

Read it, thanks.

...A guy in that thread mentions the IAC and it seemed to be the final fix..

..and No problem...Fingers crossed that the new Ford unit and connector is, the final answer...:biggthump

..and No problem...Fingers crossed that the new Ford unit and connector is, the final answer...:biggthump
I know, but since the DPFE is no bueno, I need to replace that first and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I might try the IAC. If I lived in a state other than the People's Republic of California, I would just put a GM 4.3 Vortec in there and forget about it, since its supposed to bolt up to my tranmission.

So today, I returned the AZ DPFE, and got this from the dealer (since I haven't seen a picture of the new Ford kit)
DSCF3123_Small_.jpg

Close up of sensor and connector
DSCF3124_Small_.jpg

I should have it installed in a few hours time (I need a tasty cold beverage first, its 80 degrees here:D).

Wired in the new DPFE just like the instructions said..............hooked it all up, reconnected the battery............ran the engine for 30 minutes, with the occasional 4000 RPM rev, even a few times to redline with no CEL..........Ran the codes and besides the hard transmission codes (566, 629) I got;

1 1 1 :thumbsup:

In the engine on mode, I still got;
the engine idle code for testing (538), and the brake circut code (536), but nothing else.
No surge, seems to run pretty smooth for 167000 miles. I bought the third vehicle at about 120000 and parked this in the garage except to wheel, and the occasional drive around town, so its got a lot of hard wheelin' miles.

Time will tell. I am not going to drive it anywhere except to get it smogged before TDS, so it looks like I am back in business..........again.:thumbsup:

Thanks again fella's

I think the IAC was replaced to fix his surge problem, not the CEL, but I could be wrong.....

....That's great news...:biggthump

...A couple quick questions...Can you also post a pic of the old unit and connector for future reader's?...And, does it run noticably different than it did when you put the AZ unit in?

...and I'll check with the guy who suggested the IAC...:p:

It seems to idle a little smoother and does not have any noticable surge at high RPM like before.

New DPFE Installed. Notice the wires are all the same color and gauge, so you have to follow the splicing instructions carefully. There is approximately 10 inches of wire on the new connector. I left myself about four extra inches from the splice in case I screwed it up, so I would have enough room to fix it.
DSCF3130_Small_.jpg

Old DPFE Front
DSCF3125_Small_.jpg

Rear
DSCF3126_Small_.jpg

Connector plugged in
DSCF3127_Small_.jpg

...Now we have a nice clean thread for future reference...Nice job on the fix...:biggthump

...And that new setup looks like a definitely better quality part...Thank you for sharing...:salute:

Got it smogged yesterday at a "Test Only" station and...........................IT PASSED! The guy said it is a clean running old Explorer. That is a load off my mind.

...Congrats on a job well done...:biggthump

...I know how it is a huge relief to pass smog but to pass clean, that is a proud moment...I think my Ranger gets smogged this year...

..Anyways, thanks for sharing the great news...

I'm throwing the 332 & 172 codes right now in the 94 EX, and need to pass inspections within the next month. The CEL started coming on a few weeks back, and it only comes on after the engine has warmed up a bit. This is confusing me.....EGR (rarely fails), DPFE, IAC, or O2 sensor?

Whats your take on these two codes running together?

Thanks Ted. I did read the entire thread and I understand about the DPFE. The rig has run code free for a long long time, and out of the blue the CEL came on with both the 332 & 172 codes. I was leaning towards the 02 sensor for the 172, and was standing at the counter almost ready to pay for them, then something told me to check a little deeper before I spent gobs of $$ on something I may not need.

I never would have thought of the MAF sensor. Hopefully replacing it will help. Thanks for digging even farther than I did Ted. :)

..The DPFE may have a problem with the connectors or just age of heat and weather on the unit itself...There may be other remedies but the one found here is exactly what I would do to resolve the problem and BKennedy found both the new part problem and the fix..

..As for the code 172 happening at the same time out of the blue and these two codes being related to two separate sensors makes me wonder if you have a ground problem, short, or battery problem...Just my thinking but your previous problems may have shortened the life of these sensors also..:dunno:

..Chasing more than one sensorproblem from codes is a PITA but I wish you luck...:D

Back