dmorris

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
I get this

with each 1 or . equal to aprox 1 second from the CEL lite when grding the STI

My hayes manual says 92 should have a 2 digit code, so is this a 33 in both memory types?

Or is the hayes wrong and I am seeing a pass 111 3 digit code in both types?

The CEL came on a while ago (couple months) before I knew about this forum.

since that time I have replaced the battery, cleaned the MAF, and left battery off for several hours. the engine used to ping on regular, but since the MAF and battery disconnect I have gone back to reg and no ping. I just assumed that since the CEL had come on there should be some kind of stored code.

33 then something with the EGR, but I could not find anything that looks like an EGR on my 92.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd call that a code 33, egr not opening. The EGR on a Gen 1 OHV motor is attached to the driver's side of the upper intake manifold just underneath the throttle cable where it crosses the manifold. It has a pipe that goes back down to the exhaust pipe.

could not see anything like that in the described location. More on the code sequence, if it was a two digit 33 and not a 3 digit pass 111 shouldn't it have repeated like this:

Test start CM start
33 33 sep 33 3 3

I just read somewhere else the only exp that had two dig codes were the 91's regardless of what the hayes man says.

My '92 outputs 3 digit codes, and every professional repair manual has indicated that a '92+ 4.0 will output 3 digit codes. I don't know where Haynes got their information, but I suspect they've made some error in this case. The other thing is that a '92 doesn't have an EGR system, so you wouldn't expect to get an EGR code. So it looks to me like you have pass code (111) from both KOEO and CM.

Thx MS just what I wanted to hear. :)

got a digtal read (free from amazon) 3145 equus, and confirmed I am def getting 111's all the way on KOEO and KOER. It did read 4 cyl which I don't understand since it is a 6. I guess what is bugging me is if the CEL came on, even a while ago, how come no record of it now? do on the C codes stay stored? I will go back and re read the sticky and see if I can find answer in there as well.

got a digtal read (free from amazon) 3145 equus, and confirmed I am def getting 111's all the way on KOEO and KOER. It did read 4 cyl which I don't understand since it is a 6. I guess what is bugging me is if the CEL came on, even a while ago, how come no record of it now? do on the C codes stay stored? I will go back and re read the sticky and see if I can find answer in there as well.

After a set number of drive cycles, if the cause of the CEL does not occurr again, the PCM will turn off the CEL. There may be a memory code, then again maybe not! If the light came on AFTER you disconnected the battery, then I would expect a code in memory, but the system is not infallible. If you are getting 111, that is pass codes. No problems.

Back