• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake and exhaust

gotbags?

Reaction score
City, State
camden,ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaineer
will a k&n cold air intake and a cat back exhaust help on gas mileage i know it will helpo alittle on hp but i need mpg most. what would be a good exhaust brand. and i was wondering if anyone has t the same problem i have with gas. some places i can get 20 mpg out of others it drinks it and i get like 15-16 anyone know the problem or a fix? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of my buddies has a navigatopr with this on it and he claims to have went from 12 mpg to 18-22mpg

i doubt that, maybe maybe with the right tuning. is it a 5.0? mine is check it out, i have a custom intake, which is way less then a k&n system, and i still use a k&n filter, and i have a dual exhuast, flowmaster 40 series. search true dual and you will find my vid. if you do this right you can end up saving a pretty penny!

intake pic
100_0791.jpg

look in the import section of your auto store. this is an adapter for a civic, then i re drilled the holes like this:
100_0784.jpg

100_0781.jpg

you will have to dremel out the gasket, but it was like 10 bucks i think...

as for exhaust:
im at work all night so i cant get pics up, but i will tomorrow evening. all it is is an "h" pipe where the last two cats are, and my two mufflers. then they turn down before the axle, the turn downs are connected to the last stock hangars b4 the axle, if you look you will see what i mean.

i wish i could get 20 mpg. but an intake and an exhaust will help with mpg. i have a K&N and a Magnaflow exhaust and love them both

K&N doesn't make a full intake kit for the 5.0, FYI. If you do have the 5.0, go with MAC. They do make the right kit.

I doubt your mileage will increase that much and I also call BS on your friend. My mileage increased marginally with those mods and actually decreased overall because I drive harder with the performance gains. ;)

Definitely good mods nonetheless. Get custom tuning when you're done via a SCT flasher or chip. Really ties those two mods together (been there, done that).

gotbags? said:
will a k&n cold air intake and a cat back exhaust help on gas mileage i know it will helpo alittle on hp but i need mpg most.

An intake and a good exhaust can definately improve mileage. How much depends mostly on the way you drive.

Good luck ....

i would get headers over a catback system...but thats just me...i dig the sound with headers

gotbags? said:
one of my buddies has a navigatopr with this on it and he claims to have went from 12 mpg to 18-22mpg

Impressive numbers, however, I doubt their accuracy ( unless the former is "in town" driving with a heavy foot or towing and the later is on cruse control at less than 70 MPH on the highway ).

aldive said:
Impressive numbers, however, I doubt their accuracy ( unless the former is "in town" driving with a heavy foot or towing and the later is on cruse control at less than 70 MPH on the highway ).

That's exactly what I was thinking, especially with a V8.

mine is 4.0l and that is what he claims i dont knwo 4 sure but if it wont help that much then it would take 4ever to have saved the big price of the both in gas money im not worried bout performance i have a play truck for that so i dont think i will mess with it thanks

gotbags? said:
mine is 4.0l and that is what he claims i dont knwo 4 sure but if it wont help that much then it would take 4ever to have saved the big price of the both in gas money im not worried bout performance i have a play truck for that so i dont think i will mess with it thanks

Not to be rude, but, you need to work on your grammar a bit; I haven't a clue what you said.

gotbags? said:

rule #1 don't get high on your own suppy gotbags!

btimby said:
i would get headers over a catback system...but thats just me...i dig the sound with headers

I'll have to agree with that. I put the Torque Monsters on my 5.0 and my mileage shot way up over 20 miles per gallon on the highway, which was a 2.5 MPG improvement over the stock manifolds.

Of course the headers mated with my MAC intake, Flowmaster catback, and Bamachips programmer produce a downright mean roar at full throttle.

I'll have to agree with that. I put the Torque Monsters on my 5.0 and my mileage shot way up over 20 miles per gallon on the highway, which was a 2.5 MPG improvement over the stock manifolds.

Of course the headers mated with my MAC intake, Flowmaster catback, and Bamachips programmer produce a downright mean roar at full throttle.

jman,

i just bought a 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer. i love it. i am trying to increase my mpg. i got 20 mpg doing the 250+ miles from pittsburgh to d.c. over the weekend. my question is, did you get the xcal tuner after you put your headers on? how much of an increase did you get with adding the mac intake and mac and flowmaster muffler?

I got the programmer before the headers because I didn't plan on putting headers on until I inspected the old exhaust manifolds and saw how warped they were and how awful they sounded under hard throttle. The MAC intake made a nice 1 MPG gain, but the exhaust really didn't gain much, if any, MPG. The MAC exhaust seems a bit larger than necessary because the lack of backpressure makes it a dog on the low-end without a premium fuel tune. Of course, it charges really hard after about 2500 RPMs.

First off, add the intake. It will for sure free up a few MPGs and sounds much better than stock. The exhaust really isn't necessary for MPG.

Then, get the programmer. You should be able to pick what kind of tunes you want, so customize as necessary.

Truthfully, if I were to do it again, I wouldn't get the headers. They take forever to install, require a decent amount of customization, and I'm now having issues with header bolts falling out again like the old exhaust manifolds. Actually, they are bolts in the same locations as the old manifolds.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

thanx for the quick reply. so the mac intake is the best for what i am trying to accomplish (better MPG)? what kind of exhaust could you recommend that will give me the best sound with the most performance/MPG increase? (i am looking for that badass V-8 sound) and how much total MPG increase did you see with the intake/exhaust/tuner combo? i plan on getting the tuner last when i have the money saved. thanx again.

P.S. how accurate is your message center on MPG?

I am a mac dealer and have sold alot of exhaust and cai's along with SCT tuning to members on these forums. PM or email me if interested.

I doubt your friend go those kind of gains. But I have seen stranger things happen.

Back