cold air intake and straight pipe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake and straight pipe

limited5.0v8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 limited 5.0
what would be the cheapest muffler to get better mpg or would a straight pipe give u better mpg? and also do cold air intakes even do anything to your car i heard hey give u better mpg and make it sound better and i also heard that cold air intakes dont even do anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing you mentioned will increase your MPG.

weight reduction and less reciprocating mass. Cutting the muffler off and welding in a Y-pipe wont hurt anything, but you are going to have to do many more small things to notice a difference.

I picked up 3 mpg on the highway with a cat-back exhaust. Lower restriction muffler and bigger pipe. City mpg is no different. $360, which my not be your definition of "cheapest".

You could have a muffler shop just put in a generic turbo muffler with the stock pipe and get a slight improvement but there is nothing that will make a huge difference.

Your stock intake is already a cold air intake. Most aftermarket intakes with a cone filter are really hot air intakes (think about it). Just pull out the silencer, get a K&N drop-in, and call it good. It's never made a difference in mpg on any of my trucks though.

I picked up 3 mpg on the highway with a cat-back exhaust. Lower restriction muffler and bigger pipe. City mpg is no different. $360, which my not be your definition of "cheapest".

You could have a muffler shop just put in a generic turbo muffler with the stock pipe and get a slight improvement but there is nothing that will make a huge difference.

Your stock intake is already a cold air intake. Most aftermarket intakes with a cone filter are really hot air intakes (think about it). Just pull out the silencer, get a K&N drop-in, and call it good. It's never made a difference in mpg on any of my trucks though.

Seeing as how he has a 5.0 and all of us past & present 5.0 owners know what POS the factory exhaust manifolds are, the only real way to gain MPG is a set of Torque Monster headers to the tune of $800-850 for a set.

Back