Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

I'm taking delivery today on the new '13 Sport I ordered about 6 weeks ago. Until I checked today, K&N wasn't "officially" offering a CAI for the Sport, but guess what, now they are!

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-3531TS

As much as I'm dying to throw one on, I'll probably wait for it to break in a bit, but thought I'd share this with everyone on other threads that had been asking about them.
Welcome to the Forum itlnsrfrdr.:wavey:
Congratulations on your new ride. If you do a 'search' on K&N you will find there are a few threads on that item.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360473&highlight=K&N

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321291&highlight=K&N

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315211&highlight=K&N

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347595&highlight=K&N

The last one is from the '2011 Modified' threads. Nice pictures of the installed unit but the member ended up removing it after a while.

Perhaps you would be better off posting there.

Also don't forget that the Explorer was tuned for optimal performance based on the OEM parts. Changing some of them may require a retuning. Also modifications may affect the warranty on some parts.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

True, they will void the factory warranty if an issue persists and it is determined to be the cause, but I wouldn't go as far to say that the factory air box is 'optimally tuning' it either.

Air boxes have a tendency to restrict the air entering the intake, and like on any vehicle, the more air you can deliver, the better performance numbers you'll see. In my experience ('93 5.0 Mustang, '01 Cobra Mustang, '08 F-150, '13 Boss 302), your minor bolt-ons dont necessarily require re-tuning. When you'll need a re-tune is when you're really digging in to the motor and changing out parts left and right (boreing out, intake replacement, adding cam, throttle body upsizing, adding blowers or turbos, etc.).

Like I said, I'll more than likely wait a bit for it to get broken in, but I'm definitely curious to see not only the numbers but how it feels. In every case, except the Boss, because I'm leaving that baby alone, there's been a significant increase in throttle response and mid-line acceleration, but in turn, I can't imagine it being much better than what it already is. She's been a dream to drive so far!!

Besides, it's not fun to leave anything alone! :D

True, they will void the factory warranty if an issue persists and it is determined to be the cause, but I wouldn't go as far to say that the factory air box is 'optimally tuning' it either.

Air boxes have a tendency to restrict the air entering the intake, and like on any vehicle, the more air you can deliver, the better performance numbers you'll see. In my experience ('93 5.0 Mustang, '01 Cobra Mustang, '08 F-150, '13 Boss 302), your minor bolt-ons dont necessarily require re-tuning. When you'll need a re-tune is when you're really digging in to the motor and changing out parts left and right (boreing out, intake replacement, adding cam, throttle body upsizing, adding blowers or turbos, etc.).

Like I said, I'll more than likely wait a bit for it to get broken in, but I'm definitely curious to see not only the numbers but how it feels. In every case, except the Boss, because I'm leaving that baby alone, there's been a significant increase in throttle response and mid-line acceleration, but in turn, I can't imagine it being much better than what it already is. She's been a dream to drive so far!!

Besides, it's not fun to leave anything alone! :D
I'm not really a 'car guy'. I watched an episode of Motorweek the other day and they installed a cold air induction system and a cat back exhaust to see how it affected mileage. They drove the same 5000 mile route before and after and the improvement was 0.4 miles per gallon. They figured that taking the cost of the modification into account, one would have to drive, I believe they said, about 45,000 miles to break even. I can't recall if it improved HP but I do recall them saying that increased HP results in increased gas consumption.

Peter

Hi all , was thinking of upgrading to a cold air also ... Is there a tuner available for the 13 explorer yet ?

If it's just simple bolt ons such as CAI and exhaust, you generally won't see a dip in MPG. Generally speaking, where you see dips in MPG are fuel related (increasing the size of fuel injectors, typically from supercharger installations, or tuning (changing shift points, accounting for fuel mods), etc.).

The 0.4 MPG number is probably pretty accurate, but then most people who bolt on a CAI and exhaust are doing it more for increased throttle response (CAI) and sound resonance (exhaust) as opposed to MPG (or at least that's how I am).

fordnewyork, I haven't seen many available for the Sport yet, unfortunately. Like the CAI's, I think the aftermarket is slow in seeing the demand being that the Sport is a limited production run compared to other trim levels. I think we should start seeing more in the next 6 months or so when the 2014's start hitting the lots. If you, or anyone for that matter, do see any, let me know, as I'd be curious to see myself.

does anyone have pics of the injen installed? the above post said it will come with a heat shield, but only pics of the prototype one are posted. I'd like to see how the heat shield fits in.

Also any other pics of the airaid one? So far only good pics of teh K&N were posted.

Any other vendors sell SHO intakes that would fit?

does anyone have pics of the injen installed? the above post said it will come with a heat shield, but only pics of the prototype one are posted. I'd like to see how the heat shield fits in.

Also any other pics of the airaid one? So far only good pics of the K&N were posted.

Any other vendors sell SHO intakes that would fit?

Harley...

the intake I ordered and installed did not come with a heat shield.

Attachments

• DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,380

Thanks for the info.

I'd love to do some testing with a remote temp sensor to see what engine bay temps are in various spots. With as sealed as our engine bay is with the hood sealed with a gasket, and the grille half blocked off, I'm interested to see how the air temp varies from the intake scoop to the airbox, vs. just the open engine bay to see if a heat shield even does anything in this application. I was surprised how much the engine bay holds heat after popping the hood last week after only driving 5 minutes to the store, and 2 hours later when I popped the hood it was still cooking hot under there.

I noticed Roush has an intake as well, but it looks to just be a rebadged airaid unit. I wish AFE would make us an intake like they do for the f150 3.5 ecoboost. That's pretty cool looking with the dual inlets.

Dude, this debate is so big and crazy, I surrender. Enjoy everything here. These are great folks with a ton of wisdom.

I was going to try the airraid kit for the SHO, but now I think I am just going to give the k&n 77series for the regular Explorer a shot. The guys at CarID said they are sure it would fit and if not I can send it back on them. I like the K&N because it has the metal intake tube instead of the plastic one on the Airraid. You should be able to hear the turbos spool better with the metal one. It is a lot cheaper at Partsgeek.com, but I am going to have to look at their return policy.

Will the air intake temps be cooler with the plastic one from Airaid versus the metal one from K&N?

Seems the metal one will hold more heat.

Will the air intake temps be cooler with the plastic one from Airaid versus the metal one from K&N?

Seems the metal one will hold more heat.

it would, but if the entire engine bay is heat soaked anyway, the temp of the metal one will be the same as the heat soaked plastic one. It'll just get there a little quicker. But unless you're drag racing, it's a moot point in something like this.

Just installed my airaid for a SHO in my 2013 sport. Perfect fit, fit like a glove.

-374E-442D-9A73-FA56C5EF677D-8613-00000438D03CA9D3.jpg

-2D8E-466C-92E7-D95DF54F52FE-8613-00000438C86A5C03.jpg

Hi Drwalker02, Knowing that the Airaid is designed for the Taurus SHO, does the hood of the Sport seal down tight against he weather stripping on top of the air box like it is designed to do on the Taurus?

Just installed my airaid for a SHO in my 2013 sport. Perfect fit, fit like a glove.

-374E-442D-9A73-FA56C5EF677D-8613-00000438D03CA9D3.jpg

-2D8E-466C-92E7-D95DF54F52FE-8613-00000438C86A5C03.jpg

Hi Drwalker02, Knowing that the Airaid is designed for the Taurus SHO, does the hood of the Sport seal down tight against he weather stripping on top of the air box like it is designed to do on the Taurus?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that seal didn't touch the hood on the taurus either. I've seen so many "sealed" airboxes over the years and barely any of them actually seal against the hood, but that piece of weatherstripping gives some peace of mind thinking they do.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that seal didn't touch the hood on the taurus either. I've seen so many "sealed" airboxes over the years and barely any of them actually seal against the hood, but that piece of weatherstripping gives some peace of mind thinking they do.

Easy check... Put baby powder on weatherstripping and close hood, open and see if it left a mark.

From what I can tell there are only two intake options currently for sale that are specific to the Sport. The Injen and the K&N model.

Im not particularly crazy about either because of the heat shields or lack of heat shield with the Injen one.

Has anyone had any of these (Airaid,Injen,K&N) on their Sport for a considerable amount of time?

I have about 500 miles on my Sport and this was one of the first upgrades I was looking to do, trying to get an idea on the general consensus.

I've got the K&N on my Sport. Its heat shield looks similar to the Airaid and probably doesn't really provide much benefit. I've been too lazy to check the intake air temps, so I don't have any temperature comparisons with the stock box. Also, from what I've heard if you don't have a tune, you won't realize much (if any) gains with just an intake. I really don't feel any difference over stock, maybe just slightly better throttle response.

I've had the K&N installed about 6 months now and the noise it makes takes getting used to. At low speeds, it sounds like a garbage disposal (or a rocks in a box sucking-type noise). When you make boost, though, you can hear the turbos spool up. And if you're at high boost and let off the gas, you can hear the boost blowing off pretty loud.

Btw I bought the K&N because I found it cheap on ebay, so I had no preference. And that's my opinion/experience...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Airaid on my Sport. It has been on for about 500 miles and other than a little more throttle noise when getting on it, it's not much different than stock. I do hear a sound that sounds like a flapper opening and closing (a popping sound might describe it better) when accelerating, but not loud enough to be bothersome or go back to stock for that reason.

I'm sure it sucks in more hot air than the stock air box, as the top of the box is open. I have not seen any MPG gains yet ( have seen comments from other users who say they have a 1-2 MPG gain, not me!). I don't have a tune, so I'm up in the air if I'm going to keep it on or go back to stock.

Back