cold air intake for 05 V6 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake for 05 V6 explorer

20tank05

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 4.0l XLT 4x4
i have an 05 4.0L explorer xlt 4x4 and am looking for a cold air intake but cant find one anywhere help/ideas please!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can build your own with this modular application. I know there are several guys here including myself that have done this. I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll see between this type and a "K&N style" intake.

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME

Most franchise auto parts stores carry the pieces youll need. I got mine at Pep Boys here in southern cali.

This is what it looks like on my 2001 Explorer

DSCN0525.jpg

your intake is nothing close to what the 04-05 looks like factory...

the MAF and AIRBOX are one piece combined for 04-05's...

20tank05...

i just upgraded from an 03 XLS to an 05 XLT...

i took my airbox out and removed the intake silencer ( 6'' tube ) from the box itself, and drilled holes in the BOTTOM of the airbox on the front and on the passenger fender side of the box. then i bought a K&N filter ( part no. 33-2207 ) and reintsalled the box... im getting the same results from the " airbox mod " as from the full intake i had on my 03...

increased mpg / small increase of power

heres some pictures of mine... kinda messed up a few holes, but it works, and it gives you the idea...

DSCN0248.jpg

DSCN0247.jpg

you have any pics that shows a little more of the engine compartment?

not at the moment...

my engine bay is completely stock ( looking )

thats the only mod i have is the filter and drilled holes in the airbox

I'm sure some of the guys that have more experience with the '05 will chime in soon

Here is mine. Its a Power Adder filter, aluminum pipe, and an elbow connector from a dodge ram.
jordan004.jpg

This is what it looks like on my 2001 Explorer

DSCN0525.jpg

I saw this picture...and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the hell your engine looked so much different from mine. Then I saw yours is a 2nd generation....completely different layout :p:

Yeah this pic was only to show what the modular intake looks like so he has an idea what to look for if he decides to go that route.

hey thanks to all for the insight, i do plan on making one myself and soon, i will def post some pics when its complete

if you plan on making your own with custom pipe, and a cone filter...

please let me know lol ! if i could get rid of the factory airbox ill be all over it...

you might wanna look into a mac intake. They make some good stuff

I just can't understand why people call something that pulls (hot) engine compartment air or (hot)(brake dust filled) wheel well air a cold air kit?

I have an idea for a TRUE CAI for the third gens. Soon as I bust out a few other issues, I am headed to the junkyard.....

-Shawn :D

are those the generic do-it-yourself parts from autozone? i tried doing that in my '04 and it worked.. for 2 blocks. a sensor tripped, and the butterfly valve for the intake shut, forcing idle.

thats why i only drilled holes around the box, and put a K&N filter in...

no issues, with the same results...

i have an 05 4.0L explorer xlt 4x4 and am looking for a cold air intake but cant find one anywhere help/ideas please!!

Try kurtz kustom motors, I have one and it works fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

build one, its cheaper and easy

Back