programmer and intake | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

programmer and intake

I got an 03 4.0sohc. With drop in k&n and stock wheels and I'm still gettn 15.2 :(

A few weeks ago I upgraded the stock 245/65/17 to 265/70/17, and the mileage drop has been negligible. I went from General Grabber HP, which is a highway terrain Tire to Yokohama geolander A/T which is an all terrain. I was surprised that Sith the more aggressive tread and heavier tires the mileage only dropped .4mpg average over the last 3 tanks. I have been keeping track of the mileage, and doing manual calculations, not going by the computer.

I am also very surprised that the Yokohamas are actually quieter than the general's. I used a decibel meter to track it, right before I did the swap. 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80 mph readings an cruise over 30 seconds each. The yokohamas were 4-8 decibel lower. Not a huge change, but I noticed it even before I got the meter out.

Has the odometer/speedometer been corrected for the larger tires?

Also, that is a big swing in audible measurements. Are you using an a-weighted scale? 3dB is double the noise, so you are talking 1-3x louder.

Has the odometer/speedometer been corrected for the larger tires?

Also, that is a big swing in audible measurements. Are you using an a-weighted scale? 3dB is double the noise, so you are talking 1-3x louder.

yes, the odometer has been correcter for the tire size change and its done using an a-weighted scale. The difference was 61-65dBa with new tires and 68-70dBa with the old. Granted the old fronts we getting worn, but they stil had about 60% tread left, so not too worn.

I do have a hypertech programmer and use the 89 tow tune, it works great. The tune was done way before I changed the tires.

Back