cold air intake

Dylansav

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities,Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I just got a quick question about running a cold air intake on my 98 4.0 SOHC

I live in minnesota and I heard that you need to put an electric heater on the air intake if you live in the climate, is that true?

And what are the cons of running like a K&N CAI on my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure about that, I thought the whole idea of that intake was to get as much air as possible in the engine...........cold air is denser than warm or so I thought!

I am sure someone will go absolute with the answer.........I will watch the thread with interest.

I live in Michigan, and haven't had a problem with my Volant CAI in the winter. It has been on for a few years now and starts and runs fine in all weather.

There might be a problem if snow or ice somehow gets packed around the air filter, but that's highly unlikely to happen.

How does your CAI handle in harsher conditions? Like heavy rain/fog/humidity?

No different than stock.

So your Volant CAI doesn't stall up the truck or anything like that in harsh conditions..even if you were driving through mud or going offroad in the dust?

i need to know:D

So your Volant CAI doesn't stall up the truck or anything like that in harsh conditions..even if you were driving through mud or going offroad in the dust?

i need to know:D

well most aftermarket intakes for a ford explorer are not true cold air intakes. they really just replace the stock airbox and stock airtube/filter with a new shiny intake tube that is smooth and also replaces the filter with a cone style.

you should be fine, if the water/mud gets that high i'd imagine you'd have bigger problems on your hands. and for dust, isn't that what a filter is supposed to be for? filtering out dust? :-D

Been off road in the dust with no problems.
Never been in mud deep enough to reach the air filter.
Been up to the bottom of the doors though with no problem (water and mud).
Burried it mid-doors in a snow bank with no problem....except being stuck.

The air filter is mostly covered by a box to help block most stuff and alot of the engine bay heat too.

I'm sure it doesn't filter out as much as the stock filter, but I'm not too concerned.

Back