• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake?

y3kbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
Beverly Hills, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
I just ran a search on "cold air intake" and everyone seems to say that you dont need one. I wanted to switch my K&N with a cold air intake. A lot of people say that it wont make a difference. Is this true. and I dont understand what the IAT speed at 20mph does. Should I or shouldn't replace my K&N with a cold air? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i noticed a nice increase in torque at low rpm, maby it is in my head but it sounds good

I just like the looks and sound of mine. Do a search and you will find some pics of it.

The K&N and KKM intakes are not true cold air intakes.

You'd have to fabricate a custom intake tube and route it somewhere low to get a true cold air intake. Its a bad idea though because then you're more likely to get water in the intake.

Is there anyway to get a true cold air intake? i love the sound they make, but its not worth my money if im not getting any better performance out of it. I heard that it increases perofrmance up to 15hp. If i am able to get better performance out of it, its worth my money. But if the K&N will be the same thing then ill just stick with it.

Do you have a K&N FIPK or a drop in??

say what? im me y3kbuddy if you have.

thanks everyone, got all the info I need.

The term "cold air intake" is open for discussion. We carry the Mac Intake System for the 1996 V6 OHV. This system replaces the restrictive stock air box with an open filter & chrome tube. It adds 10-12 hp you can feel & hear. It is shown here with the Pro-M 75mm Mass Air Sensor ($244.95). We sell the Mac #3640 $144.95

Attachments

• macintake3640wpro-mweb.jpg
    macintake3640wpro-mweb.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 740

i'd say if you go offroad, don't bother. you hit puddles and get leaves and crap into your expensive cold air intake, and you won't be pleased. i think the best bet is to make an "icebox" around it, and make a ram air tube lead to it from behind the grill or something.

John, that's a good price!

Why didn't you have that thing around 2.5 years ago when I got mine?!?!
Karl

Cold air intakes don't really affect engine performance unless it is a very high performance engine to start...Any aftermarket intake will be just as good

Originally posted by JOHN V.
The term "cold air intake" is open for discussion. We carry the Mac Intake System for the 1996 V6 OHV. This system replaces the restrictive stock air box with an open filter & chrome tube. It adds 10-12 hp you can feel & hear. It is shown here with the Pro-M 75mm Mass Air Sensor ($244.95). We sell the Mac #3640 $144.95

I couldn't find #3640 on your site under the intake section, infact you guys don't have anything listed for 4.0 OHV's are you just out of stock?

Also I was wondering how the Mac Open filter compared to the KKM open filter ?

And also to you guys sell the Pro-M 75mm MAS with the same chrome finish on the Mac intake (like pictured)?

The #3640 is new and is not on our web site yet, but we do have it in stock. Give us a call at 888-EXPLORER (888-397-5673).

All of these open filters are very similar in construction. They all offer similar results. The Mac Intake is a great value & a great product.

I have the FIPK using the stock tube. After the installation, I definitely noticed the engine a lot louder when you want it to and stock quietness on the highway. I also noticed a better throttle response, which I was looking for. I'm definitely thinking about getting a Flowmaster when I get enough money to do it. I can't wait!!

I'm thinking of making a heat shield and some ducting feeding cold air from the bumper up to the filter. Do you guys think I'll get even better response??

I could tell part throttle response improved as soon as I installed it.

FIPK

When installing this mod do you still disconnect -battery cable to reset computer. Do you have to change MAS and can this mod be done seperatly or would you have change exhaust also. Besides power increase was there a milage increase. I have 4.0 ohv
Thanks for any help.

General X--here is a link to my pics. Some of them show my intake I made for $40 from parts from Autozone. It is mounted to the hole that held in that stupid "snow cover"(whoever thought of that name should be shot, all that will do is catch snow from underneath the engine) and gets air from my hood scoop. The hood is custom made and not a glue-on scoop. http://picturecenter.kodak.com/gues...Z6IBv?machineid=4&invite=9Exr4ehm8882o7t87huk
There are some pics of the hood while I was working on it.

Thanks for the pictures!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow i just knowticed that the blue explorer is just like mine!!! i mean paint job and all. that may be common but i havent found any other explorers around with the blue and white paint job....did you just paint it black?

Back