FYI: Cold Air Intake = Hot Air Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FYI: Cold Air Intake = Hot Air Intake

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Where did this whole "cold air intake" lingo come from?

Most "cold air intakes" that I have seen end up (or start, depending on how you look at it) with a conical filter open to under-hood air. Unless you live on the equator, this air is hotter than outside air. At what point did these "open" intakes become known as "cold air" intakes? Is this just marketing at its best?

On an Explorer, you really only have two "cold air intake" options. 1) stock intake 2) a snorkel. Your only third option would be an open intake under the engine, which unless you live somehwere where it never rains, I wouldn't suggest this.

Unless you are referring to a snorkel kit, there is no such thing as an aftermarket "cold air intake" system. All of them are gonna suck in hot-a$$ under hood air, so quit using the ricer talk!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You tell them robb!!!

Mine gets air from outside and doesn't get rain water in it :D

You are correct!

That is why it is very important to finish the job!
Build a heat shield around the filter and run a cold air feed to the chamber.

Kinda like an airbox hua? hehehe

No seriously I cut a 4" dia hole in my radiator support, where the stock air feed was. I used a flange and 4" dryer hose to run up to the filter.
I then used some heat shielding around the filter to block it from the hot engine and exhaust.

I dont know if its getting air thats any colder than the stock airbox did, but its not getting the hot air like most open elements do.

A true cold air intake puts the filter usually right below or behind the bumper, or gets the air from a scoop, or snorlkle.

well i have a lot of friends with imports then have intakes that run down to the ground, and only one of them has had a problem because he drove through a big arse puddle in his cougar.

Dead on Robb. If we wanted to be really accurate, even a snorkel is at best an ambient air intake. Truly cold air requires some kind of intercooler. I saw somewhere Ford is working on an AC driven Intercooler for the next Lightning.

Here's what I've been working on and just need to get it prettied up and sealed to the hood.

8426ColdAir01.jpg

8426scanimage8a.jpg

Like 410Fortune said if you route cold air to th filter and help box it off from the engine it "Becomes a cold air intake...That is why you see the box thing around the K&N filter intakes. I was thinking about getting a hood scoop to "help" cool things of in the engine compartment. Initially the scoop would not be connected to the cone filter, but eventually I could come up with a way to route it over it. I'm just thinking that any added air flow can only help cool things off under the hood.

Back