• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake

gbenson1996

Reaction score
City, State
anderson sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 explorer sport Trac
hey guys, i just got an 09 Sport trac 4.0, i work at O'reilly, so i pieced together a cold air intake for it, only problem is it surge idles for about 5 seconds then shuts off, I'm sure I'm not the only person that has tried to put one on my truck, any ideas as to why it wont work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’re missing something in putting it all back together, or something was damaged. Just a cold air intake should cause no runability issues. No check engine light?

You’re missing something in putting it all back together, or something was damaged. Just a cold air intake should cause no runability issues. No check engine light?
No check engine light, it won’t run for more than 5 seconds unless the MAF is unplugged, I’ve use the OE MAF sensor and a new one, does the same thing

Check the wiring closely. It gets quite brittle on some of these trucks. Maybe it was damaged while it was being messed with.

With the MAF unplugged does it run indefinitely?

Check the wiring closely. It gets quite brittle on some of these trucks. Maybe it was damaged while it was being messed with.

With the MAF unplugged does it run indefinitely?
Runs just fine without the MAF, I drive it around the block it did fine, it runs fine with the stock intake on, I’ve swapped them out a couple times trying to get it to work in my free time.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi guys!

I have the same issue after installing new KN CAI 77 kit on my FE 07, 4.6. Engine is stalling and then shut off. No stable Idles about 1 minute before shutoff. No error codes, and no air leaks! But i see that LTFT is very high (17-23%). Reset PCM adaptation - not helped.
KN support doesn’t answer me on my emails :(
Without KN filter (only with KN pipes and MAF connected) - it works, but error codes present on MAF and O2 sensors about "much air" and "to learn".

Any suggestions?

Back