Cold Air intakes for the 2.0...will 3.5 ones interchange with them? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air intakes for the 2.0...will 3.5 ones interchange with them?

MrXanyBar

Reaction score
City, State
Flora, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013,XLT 2.0
Description basically says it, Ive seen many posts about 3.5 intakes and all but cannot find any posts about the 2.0...so I apologize in advance if there was already a thread discussing it..I swear Ive searched..I know theres two intakes out there that specifically made by K&N and AEM but I see so many more for the 3.5...or any others maybe from the SHO,FLEX etc that may work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, very small aftermarket for the 2.0. My previous '13 Edge had a 2.0 and there was almost no aftermarket -- no tunes, intakes, etc. I intentionally went to the Sport for the 3.5 because it has an aftermarket.

3.5L intakes will NOT work for a 2.0. You might be better off fabricating your own.

Description basically says it, Ive seen many posts about 3.5 intakes and all but cannot find any posts about the 2.0...so I apologize in advance if there was already a thread discussing it..I swear Ive searched..I know theres two intakes out there that specifically made by K&N and AEM but I see so many more for the 3.5...or any others maybe from the SHO,FLEX etc that may work?

I've searched for several aftermarket Cold Air Intakes for my 2.0 Ecoboost engine several months ago but only found two that will fit my Explorer.

1.) K&N (33-2395)
77-2587KS_Eng.jpg

2.) AEM Cold Air Intake (21-756C):

Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 1.32.22 PM.png

I already emailed MDesign and Livernois but they don't have any for 2.0 ecoboost engines. Please note that I never tried any of these since these won't give any additional power or better fuel consumption without having a tune. Ended up getting motorcraft drop in filters instead.

K&N_Cai.png

77-2587KS_Eng.jpg

I see 2 issues with that intake in the picture that were discussed before. The intake itself is inside the engine compartment and therefore will end up drawing in warm or hot air and the intake tube appears to be a metal one which will also heat up and warm up the air going through it thus both issues defeat the purpose if a 'Cold Air' intake. I believe there is a video on it in another thread and it was also discussed on the Motorweek TV show.

Peter

I see 2 issues with that intake in the picture that were discussed before. The intake itself is inside the engine compartment and therefore will end up drawing in warm or hot air and the intake tube appears to be a metal one which will also heat up and warm up the air going through it thus both issues defeat the purpose if a 'Cold Air' intake. I believe there is a video on it in another thread and it was also discussed on the Motorweek TV show.

Peter
Yeah that's right peter. Same thing livernois had mentioned to me when I emailed them. Having an aluminum intake is not a good idea due to heat soak.

Back