• Register Today It's free!

Cold Weather Start Noise

Sonny

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB V8 2WD
Hello, Now that it is cooler here 30 degrees in AM. When I start my X there is a whining sound. It was doing it as it started to get cooler but it only lasted a few seconds, now the whining sound lasts 10-15 seconds. I am pretty sure it has to do with the starter, could it be the Bendix? Anybody know what it is and what would need replaced? It never does it again during the day as the Temp is up around 50-60 degrees, only 1st start in the morning.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whining like Power Steering whine?

No, not at all, its a different type sound. More like a buzzing grinding noise, but not really grinding, if that makes any sense...

i have a sound like this but it's all the time i'm pretty sure it's a belt gonna get it fixed in the spring though

i've got a buzzing/high-speed metallic grinding sound on cold starts too. When i open the hood, it sounds like it comes from just below the alternator, but not sure...

i had this same noise happen this winter, but it happened to me at about -20 on a cold start in the parking lot...might i say it scared the crap out of me

but yes, its a rapid buzzing, halfway mild grinding noise close the the driver seat from what i remember

Check belt/pulleys/tensioner

Because of the cold weather where I live too, I start my car early to let it warm up for a few. I have a 4.0 OHV with 140k, and for the past couple of days I've noticed a loud ticking noise after starting it. The past couple of days it has lasted for just a few seconds, but this morning it did it until I finally went back outside to leave, and it stopped when I put it in reverse and gave it some gas. While I was letting it warm up I checked the oil pressure gauge and it was fine. Anyone know what this could be? How to fix it? Should I worry about it? Does this indicate the need for a rebuild, or a rebuild soon? I'm expecting I'll need a rebuild around 200k or so (this is engine has been well maintained, and compression was checked recently and the numbers were good :)), but should I expect it sooner now? My plans are to put on my supercharger over Xmas Break, so is there anything else I should consider?

skeets 91... with 140k i wouldnt do any forced induction until you have it rebuilt... thats jsut asking for trouble on a 14 year old engine....

Skeets'91EB said:
My plans are to put on my supercharger over Xmas Break, so is there anything else I should consider?

I would consider not putting the supercharger on over Christmas break or any other break. An Explorer with 140K miles is in no shape to be turned into a racecar.

Back