Colorado Colors Run 2000 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food in Lake City

There is not much in Lake City at all. Alot of shops, some houses and maybe a few very small hamburger places/sandwich shops. It wouldn't be to hard to take a small lunch and snacks but dinner would take alot of effort. The night run on Cinnamon Pass sounds great if the food issue can be worked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does dinner need to be that big? I think you could pack something easy for dinner just as easily for lunch.

If people aren't planning on taking a cooler, but need it for dinner I could probably take my big cooler.

Another comment about the night run. I hope there will be someone who is very familiar with the area. All the lights in the world don't help you see the big picture in the dark.

We were out on a night run and we kept seeing the lights on the freeway, they were right in front of us, but about 100 ft higher and of course inaccesable. We kept driving back and forth looking for the right trail to take us out of the desert. Since we were starting to run low on gas we said we would give it one more try before we parked it for the night. We did find the correct trail on the last shot.

Gerald, regarding the Telluride C of C, sounds good. It would definitely be a bummer if, after enjoying a great day on the trails, we all had to sit in "traffic" in Telluride. ;)

Depending on the trail, we're also up for the night run, but agree wholeheartedly with Rick's suggestion...

Finally, to wabbit - who posted some great pictures (thanks!) - I'm curious to hear your impressions of the Imogene and Engineer trails? From the book it's hard to discern their real difficulty. For example, from it's description, I was surprised to see the damage Brian1 suffered on Engineer...

Imogene and Engineer...

Here's a cut n' paste from my previous post...

"We summited Imogene and it was breathtaking! At 13,114 ft., it is the second hightest pass in Colorado. As far as technically challenging obstacles, it was not that bad. Clearance and good tires are the areas of concern. In my opinion, a stock Explorer would make it. Pick a good line and crunches can be avoided. The challenge is keeping your cool while traversing a very narrow road etched across the side of a very big mountain.
We also went part way up Engineer Pass. The first couple miles are the roughest. Again, in my opinion(disclamer), stock Explorers would do fine."

Brian1's hub may have just seen it's days and crapped out.
There can be some extra forces at work in terrain like this. Not much dirt between the rocks and sometimes they shift and flip when you're wheelin' along. Stock will get you there but you may scrape on the occasional rough spots.
You will find that 90% of the roadway on these passes is not at all rough.

Warren

Anyone up for playing in the rocks outside of Montrose either Friday afternoon or Monday morning? This would definately be a big dawg side trip.

Thanks for the additional info, Warren. Your description pretty much jibes with the book; it's always good to get some confirmation though.

Driving a leased Sport (with running boards), it sounds like I'll need to be extra careful on Imogene but shouldn't have any trouble making it...

Can't wait! :bounce:

Night Run Cont'

Rick, excellent point on knowing the trail because the perspective at night is very different. That's a major reason I offered the idea I did. Once the group gets down Cinnamon pass to Animas Forks, the rest of the trip back will be the road from Animas Forks to the Engineer Pass trail, which is the same trail that the Poughkeepsie Gulch group used earlier in the day to meet back up to Engineer Pass. Once back to Engineer Pass Trail, the rest of the return trip is down to the start of Engineer Pass which the original stocker/modified group (that didn't turn off to Poughkeepsie) would be familiar with.

It should work.

PS / I've received a couple of emails regarding my comment on the length of that day's run. I guess I need to clarify that I was only offering up the fact that it would be a long run, nothing more. I am driving 900 miles to get to Ouray; and once there, I am there to run. And run. I'm up for however much I can cram into the weekend. Dinner on the trail is no big deal at all. I would suppose that most others will also have the same attitude. For most of us it will be a long way to drive and so we want to get the most out of the trip we can once we get there. :) We will still have the group dinner and the KOA cookout.

[Edited by GJarrett on 08-06-2000 at 04:43 PM]

Peer Pressure ;)

Rick, I guess I could play on the rocks at Montrose (sp? )
Sounds like fun. Let's check the group pulse once we're there. I bet Ray has some new toys to try out too?

What to take

O.K. not to change the subject, but this is our first run and so we would like to know if there are things that are required to take a long?????
Talking to David M. I know you have to have tow hooks in front, but do you need them in back???
Is there other things we need to bring????
Tow strap, etc.
I know I can't bring everything, but it would be nice to have some of the assentials. :)
I would hate to be out :banghead: on the trails because I didn't have something.
Perry

Thanks Ray, that is what I was looking for.
I don't think I can take everything, but we will have alot of it.

Playin' with rocks...

Rick, Rob and whoever else is thinking of "playing on the rocks" in Montrose. I'd very much enjoy watching/videotaping this; perhaps for use in the next Explorer video, should Rick wish to use it. I'm in the video production business and plan to bring along some of my gear to get footage of the CCR2000. (But not too much, I want to have fun driving too! :))

Regarding timing, my sister (ExplorAuthorityGal), informed me that she now doesn't need to leave the Ouray area until later Monday afternoon. Perhaps you guys could crawl the rocks Monday morning?

Would be great if it all works out! :D

Sounds great Chris, I hope we can work it out.

Rick

I'll point ya at em'...

View

I have been to the area and know where some of these trails are.
For those that are not up on the extreme trails near Montrose, here's some pics...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=934722&a=7015577

And a link to the Montrose Memorial Day Madness, Annual Extreme Rock Crawling Event...

http://www.4x4now.com/trcomm.htm

Is there anyone else who can't see the photopoint albums or am I the only unlucky one. I have been :banghead: trying to see everyones pictures for the last couple weeks. I'm ready to :shoot: my ISP.

Rick, I remember your complaints starting a week or two back about viewing the Photopoint links. I haven't been having any problems either through my home internet dialup connection or my Lan work connection. I would think the problem has to be on your end.

Gerald

Rick,
have you got some kind of fire wall or security on your system? That might stop you from getting downloads from some sites.

ATTN:Colorado Participants

Dignan, Ray Hutchinson, and Michael Parker have still not responded to the "ETA" thread. Please go to that thread and fill in the info. Also vote on the "Dinner" thread if you wish to.

Thanx!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well guys,
Guess what. My tranny died again, :( and the truck is in the shop. I should know what's wrong with it by tomorrow. If I have to do another rebuild, I won't be able to afford to make the trip, so don't forget me in your prayers tonight. :( :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back