Colorado Colors Run 2000 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salida seemed like a nice enough town back in October. Are you thinking of a town other than this? Although there didn't seem to be a whole lot of the more difficult trails - I'm sure they're there though. Maybe I'll have my truck built up enough by then to tackle "Iron Chest". Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are plenty of trails near I-70 west of Denver of varying difficulty, many of those are within 10-15 miles of each other.

If you look at the books by Charlie Wells, in Volume 1 many of the trails in Areas 4 & 5 are fairly close by; in Volume 2 much of Area 3 is not too far.

Like many of you, I've only read about these trails, while Matt Adams has probably actually run most of them! Dead Link Removed I'm going to make a point to also try and run as many trails as I can in my stock Sport before September comes and perhaps I can give some input to any other "stockers" who make the trip. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Chris
98 Sport 4X4 SOHC
Big O Big Foot XTs
K&N Drop-In

Well, I may be a little stupid from working too many hours, but only because Rick used to have a big 4xnow button to click on and it was easy to find. Now I have to work to find it.

Alvin

ha ha no no... in the first book I've done 15 of the 65 trails (about 5 of them on the colors run last year, and a bunch with the Mile High Jeep Club patrol #13) and I've only done 3 of the trails in the second book. Hopefully I'll be doing a lot more of the trails this summer, we'll see how it goes. While I'm doing these trails I'll try to keep the Colors run in mind, so we can get a good centralized spot with lots of trails around that are good for both stock and modified vehicles.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

Thanks Matt and Chris. It'll be good if we can get a few prerun reports to help us plan. You're a little too far away for me to do a prerun.

Gerald

Here are a number of trail descriptions in my favorite part of Colorado.
http://www.4x4now.com/trcosj.htm

All kinds of old mines and gost towns in that part of the country.

------------------
Peter
'99 Sport 4wd SOHC

Gerald,

Never mind - I used the author's name and did a search on Amazon. I found them!

I'm thinking my 2 week trip out west is going to become a 3 week trip .......

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Scott, whether you get them through Amazon or 4x4NOW/4x4BOOKS be sure to use the link from the "Explorer Bookstore" button on our main page so Rick can earn a commission off of the sales and this website gets a little support.

I don't know Amazon's price, but 4x4books has a sale if you buy them both at the same time; $29.95 total for both books.

Gerald

May I make a suggestion. If a run is going to be planned over the Labor Day weekend, then it should be a ways from the Denver / Colorado Springs Area. The reason for this is because (as most Coloradians know) is that the Mountains near Denver / Colorado Springs are VERY crowded during 3 day weekends. As for me, I would like to see a run in Ouray (the J**P capital of the world). This area has a lot to offer in terms of easy / moderate / difficult trails, not to mention that the senery is beautiful.

So, if anyone want to do some "pre-runs" to this area this summer, I'm game for it. Maybe some us Colorado guys could organize something for this...

Thoughts, Feelings, Suggestions......

------------------
Brett Grooms
94 Explorer Sport

Brett - I agree... I'm definately up for some scouting! Looking through it (like the buena vista area) seems to offer a lot for everyone. If you plan on doing any scouting of that area let me know... a bunch of those trails I've been wanting to do for quite a while now.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/madams/

I would like to see the Colors run in Montrose!
I will be going there with the club this weekend for the Montrose Memorial Day Madness. (See Nov 99 cover of 4x4 and SUV magazine for the guys in the club who did it last year) We will be doing the toughest trails that Colorado has to offer! Specifically Die Trying ( http://www.4x4now.com/trcomm.htm ), Calamity Canyon and Clutch creek.

We couldnt do these hard trails but this should give you an idea of the quality of the trails and Montrose is also only about an hour from Ouray.

I'll try to learn more about the trails while there and see what we can do.

4utrmmdm037.jpg

------------------
David
92EB-4.56-ARB-Custom Lift,skidplates-OBA-XD9000i-33MT's
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/dmeisner/

I'd be interested in making that run. Would need about 2 days either side to drive... (about 1991 miles from my door to Denver) and figured the trip to be 32hours straight. Never been on the harder trails you guys have out west - would you welcome a rock-rookie?

JonM

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio w/ 6-disc changer
31x10.50 Dunlop Mud Rovers
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: visit http://www.jonmcleod.com for more info!

Well , there goes the long haul award again. Anyone that drives 1900+ miles is welcome. I would asume that depending on the number of trucks we may split into groups again? Either way, I'm there. This will help my MOAB withdrawels.....

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
5.5" Superlift,RS9000s,Warn manual hubs,33 X 12.5's ProComp MTs
"What's Potato Salad Hill?"

Assuming my schedule will allow, I'd be up for a scouting trip as well. While I certainly wouldn't be doing any of the hard core trails, I could run some of the moderates on behalf of other stock-Explorer owners.

Additionally, the southwest area of Colorado is spectacular no matter the season; should we have good conditions this autumn, it'll take your breath away!

------------------
Chris
98 Sport 4X4 SOHC
Big O Big Foot XTs
K&N Drop-In

Gerald,

You probably mentioned this already, but I forgot - what are the titles of the books you are getting? I would like to get them also to prepare for our trip.

Thanks,

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

OK,

It sounds like we are planning for Labor Day weekend. I hope it's not too early, but I'd like to get an idea of the days we plan on doing this - to ensure I have the time off work.

Do we want to meet on Friday afternoon, and trail ride Saturday, Sunday and Monday? Or trail ride Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday? Ideas and suggestions .......

Gerald, I won't forget to use the link from this website.

JonM, since I'm in Atlanta, maybe we can hook up and ride west together.

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

I think my opinion on where to go is a little biased. Growing up in Leadville CO. I know there are tons of easy to well... "I don't think you'd make it to the top" kind of trails. Holy Cross is a good choice around this area there are numerous trails that go up it and stockers could make it most of the way. I mean the trails up there are endless, there's places where if you can make it to them you can stay in the cabins that are up there. It offers every thing from mud, to rock crawling, litterly endless. Dead Link Removed Although I'm up for anywhere.

Well...I'm in. Bringing the whole family this time. Wife is actually going to hit the trails after watching some of the video from MOAB.

As long as this is still in the planning stages. Sat. & Sun trail rides work best for me. I can travel on Friday and Monday and this way I only burn 1 vacation day. 4+ trails would be nice, but I'm in for the scenary too. So if we have any old mines to explore or Ghost towns, that would be great too.

I would love to do the Rubicon trail with the Farkawee Tribe, but not this summer, maybe next when I better prepared for that type of trail.

Here we go again, any other Texas Area Explorers going?

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
5.5" Superlift,RS9000s,Warn manual hubs,33 X 12.5's ProComp MTs
"What's Potato Salad Hill?"

Sure wish we could join you guys for the pre-run. Phoenix is getting hot. Supposed to be 113 today. :eek: However because I'm in my Master's program we have to pick and choose which trips we can do.
I don't know how it's going to work for me to do the Fall Colors run. That's shortly after school starts and I only have that Monday off. I hope the boss will let me off. Of course, I may be changing positions and might not be teaching Special Ed. next year. It's a looooooooooooong story. Oh well, enough rambling.

Dave, What's with the pictures of J**ps? Are you trying to make us all sick! ;)

------------------
Char
93 Modified Exploder, Co-owner (passenger)& The Better (other) Half
I may be CRAZY (she is),.... BUT I'm not insane!(well...)

Think for yourself ...... Sheep end up dead!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Char, I agree. The only thing worse than having to look at a picture of a J**p is having to look at a picture of a PINK J**p. :p

Actually I'm just joking. I've made some cool J**p friends that aren't bigoted; so I can't be either. Bring your best J**p friend (so he/she can see how good we are :D).

OK people, since close to Denver/Colorado Springs will be too crowded, are we headed to the scenery of Ouray?

It's Area 1 in Book 1 with several (13) moderate trails: which we Explorers have ALREADY learned that stock and slightly modifieds can handle. A stupendously supreme chance to break in members who haven't figured out how good they are yet, on trails that are breathtaking.

Lots and lotsa plenty of trails; maybe this will be the best place to come. Whaddya think, people?

Only two trails get an extreme rating. As I read it, the ratings come from the danger of the slick shale switchbacks on narrrow ledges, and not the technical difficulty requiring the linedriving skill of the rockcrawling we had to traverse on the Moab slickrock. In other words, the difficult trails seem to require not lockers and extreme clearance, but the kahunas to drive the trail whether your vehicle is a BigDog or not. Lion's Back in Colorado, as it were.

I've been to the Ouray/ Telluride/ Silverton area before: hiking, on horseback, and on motorcyle; and can agree with Charles Wells (the author of the guidebook) that this area is as scenic as it gets in the continental US. There is nowhere here, no more beautiful than here.

Quoting him, "A unique combination of circumstances has created perhaps the finest place in the world for off-highway driving. I'm not aware of any other place where so many high altitude backroads have been made so easily accessible to the general public."

A perfect opportunity to bring your family to one of the best shows God has to offer here, whether you have a stock 4wd Explorer or a BigDog.

I cannot wait to trail to the abandoned mining towns in the upper Rockies and drive through Imogene Pass "one of the most thrilling passes to cross in Colorado" at 13,000+ ft on a moderate trail that I bet stockers can negotiate, exploring several turn of the century mining towns. And the dozen other trails I just read about.

How about doing the famous Alpine Loop (Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass)? -- moderate difficulty. "The lower section is quite rocky; however, with a little care, it can be negotiated by any high clearance 4wd vehicle... It is an exhilarating trip for drivers of all experience levels...There are many points of historical interest along the entire trail."...

I haven't even mentioned the Black Bear Pass extreme trail for the "heart-attack" crowd, or Poughkeepsie Gulch that requires a winch and lockers to negotiate.

Is Ouray/Telluride/Silverton good for you Coloradoans, or can you get a better idea closer to Denver without too much traffic for the holiday?

------------------
Gerald
"Nerves of Steel; Brain of Chipmunk"
'99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.0L SOHC aka "The Jeepeater"
Dead Link Removed
"What the heck is he doing out here in that thing???"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back