Colorado Colors Run 2000 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darkman,
You bet I'm getting excited. I've been in a flurry doing all these jiffy mods to my 91.
I am struggling with front tow hook placement. It is a common problem, especially if you wish to keep the front plastic air dam thingie.
My plan is to bolt them to my lower brush guard mount which I know is not a good idea by itself... But, I intend on adding a "strap"( 3/8 x 1 1/2" barstock), that will bolt-in with each tow hook and extend back to bolt-in sandwiched under the sway bar frame brackets. If you don't have a brush guard with a good,low mounting location, some kinda riser will need to be used to get the hooks below the air dam.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear Tow Point

DarkMan,

You really want a tow hook mounted to your frame. Your bumper, while strong enough (in the center) for towing a trailer, isn't strong enough to pull out your truck when stuck.

A good option for a rear tow point is a Class 3 receiver hitch. Bolted or welded to the frame, you could basically suspend the truck in midair! Not that I am recommending that, of course.

If you do use your bumper, remove the hitch ball. You don't ever want to yank with a hitch ball - the strap can slip off the ball, or, worse yet, the ball could break. Put a clevis (or shackle) in the ball mounting hole, and attach the strap to the clevis.

Road Construction

What's the latest on the road construction in Amarillo and on US 550? Has any of it been finished? (OK - wishful thinking)

Still undecided as to the route I'm going to take from Albuquerque to Ouray. Is anyone going to chance 550 with its 3 passes and construction? I'm considering going a different way, since I want to spend the night somewhere before Ouray.

Does anyone want to meet for dinner in Albuquerque on Thursday evening?

8 more days 'til I'm on the road! :bounce:

This is copied from my post on the "Driving to Ouray! Good travel times" thread, posted 8/14. It concerns the best way around Amarillo construction along I-40 and the Hwy 87 interchange.

Well, I had to make a run to Big A this weekend to rescue a friend in a broke down Blazer. (BamBam to the rescue!)

While I was down there I checked out the road situation. The construction is not as bad as it has been, but if you want to play it safe and take an extra few miles around, here's the deal.

Loop 335 is a true loop, going all the way around town (though most maps don't shop the NW leg complete, it was finished in '99). From the east (DFW/OKCity), you'll hit the loop at the Lakeside exit. Take the 335 north. After about 10-15 miles you'll cross Hwy 87 (north to Raton). If you want to stay on I-40 (west to Alb.), stay on the loop all the way around. You'll see I-40 again about 10-15 miles after Hwy 87.

You'll miss seeing the beautiful scenery of Amarillo (har D har har), but this will get you around all the construction.

[Edited by DarkMan on 08-22-2000 at 03:13 PM]

I don't know about 550, but http://www.randmcnally.com says 118 miles of construction. Bleh.

If you don't mind state roads rather than interstates, concider: Amarillo, take 87 north to Raton, take I-25 north to Walsenburg, take Hwy160 west. From there there are a couple of options. I've never been down that way, so I don't know if 160 is a good road, or which way to go from there. randmcnally showed 160 hitting 550 near the NM/CO line, but suggested taking county roads further north. The direction read like War and Peace, so I don't know if I'd use that route.

Anyway, a northly route through Raton might be easier than going through Alb. Just a thought.

US 550 is heavily under construction for a long way. It is only a 2 lane highway and good luck passing. Also watch out for speed traps especially on Labor Day weekend. It is really a pain in the butt to drive. I will be going this way because I am familiar with the route as well as it is the straightest shot to Ouray. It will take 6-8 hours from Albuq. this way depending on traffic.

IS ANY ONE GETTING EXCITED :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I know I am!! :bounce: :bounce: We're leaving Phoenix a week from tomorrow for the cool country :cool:

dana44_18.jpg

:bounce: I'll be on the road almost there exactly one week from now ! :bounce:

Almost Ready

We are looking forward to the trip!!! :bounce:
This will be our first big test for the Explorer and us, so hope we will make it.
We will do a lot of this I suppose :eek: :eek: :eek:
Hope to have the spare tire rack finished first of next week. RUSH, RUSH!! but it sounds like everyone works on there vehicles up to the last day. :D
I will be fun meeting everyone.......................
ONE DAY, ONE WEEK!!!!!! :bounce:

Last Minute Work

I'll be on the road 6 days! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Last minute work to do:
- repack front wheel bearings
- replace front brake pads
- replace front calipers
- replace spark plugs
- clean air filter

All other fluids and filters have been changed and cleaned.

Oh yeah - I need to pack, too. How has the weather been recently?

If you don't like the weather in Colorado, wait a few minutes...

Some consideration does need given to the weather. Especially in the high mountains, which tend to make their own weather. It is possible to get snow on top of the high passes this time of year. But, not likely... :)
It has been beautiful here, with clear mornings turning to isolated afternoon thunderstorms. In Ouray and the surrounding mountains, it will more than likely rain in the afternoon, then clear up around dusk. It can get quite chilly at night.
All this considered, pack everything from shorts and tees to sweaters and jackets. Oh, and don't forget your swimsuits for the hot springs pool.

Well, I started to get ready today. I mounted 2 lights up on my roof rack (boy I sure could use some nice PIAA's ;)). Now I need to check the front brakes and change the oil and put all of the goodies in/on my Explorer. I can't wait to hit the trails and meet some new faces :)

ALMOST TIME !!!

:bounce:

CELLPHONE REMINDER

I only had a couple of responses to my request to email me with your cellphone if you wanted it to be given out to other cellphone users on the trip.

Maybe no one else wants to do it. But if you do, email me with your number pronto. I will send it to the other respondents Monday.

ok I got my campsite at KOA all reserved... I didn't know they would give you a discount if you are the only one staying at the campsite, pretty sweet... getting my tie rod fixed so dispite the lack of power, the vehicle should now be highway driveable, woohoo!

Starting to panic...just a little

Well,

The Explorer is in the shop....has been for a week..... and when I checked late yesterday afternoon, not much had been done!!! :eek:

They started the body lift, then stopped, to do some rush work, and haven't even looked at the malfunctioning front ARB locker. :mad:

I still have to get the new KO tires!!

I do have the trailer all set up, and most of my stuff is prepacked, but I want to leave early Wed. morning. Might not be there Thurs evening as planned! GRRRRRR!!!

lil' help from someone with an SWR Meter...

Anyone coming this way for the CCR2000 have an SWR meter? I have my CB and antenna installed for the run but it is not tuned. I've heard it is a quick job if you have a meter and know how to do it. Anyone that could bring their meter and help me get "tuned in", I would be grateful...
Oh, one more CB question...
Can I cut the wire to add a connector 2-3 feet from the base of my Lil'Wil antenna? If so, does it have to be the same kind as on the end (std.CB, don't know the name), or can it be a BNC or RCA or ???, type connector?
I need to be able to disconnect it if I have to take it off the roof. And I would guess that any changes to the cable should be done prior to tuning.
Thanks,
Warren

I have a meter that I can bring along. Try to remind me on Wednesday when I'll be packing.

The connector needs to be 50ohms. The BNC will work, the RCA will not.

well the tie rod fixed a few of the issues, certainly not all of them, I still have a terrible bounce thoug h, Im thinking it could be the tires... so hopefully I'll blwo the heck out of em next weekend and have an excuse to buy new ones? :) j/k. Looking forward to it...

Well, all my "big mods" are underway and lookin' good. Of course, my mods aren't really big at all. I've got my CB in waiting for and antenna, and I've got my front tow hook, just have to place it (I hope). The rear D-ring is coming from a friend and should be in place too. I know this all sounds pretty drab next to tie rods and body lifts, but hey, we stockers gotta have some fun too. :)

See ya'll there!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fall Colors Run

I am very excited :bounce:!!! Less than a week until my brother and I are on the road for Ouray! It will be so nice not to be working and to be off roading instead! It sounds like things are well in hand in terms of schedules and planing. I was wondering about the KOA cookout and if we all wanted to bring a dish to share? I'm assuming we'll have a grill to cook meat on-does anyone know for sure? Also would every one be ok with a group picture?

I've been checking out the pictures and am drooling over some of the trucks that have been modified-COOL! I haven't seen all the pictures I'm sure, but I like Perry's a lot and the guy who is coming from arizona and has a white one with flames on it (sorry I can't remember your name right now). The things I could do with lots of money :bounce:

One last question for those of you more seasoned. What kind of equipment should those of us stockers have on hand that would be helpful-either to get out of a mess or make life easier? We have the yank strap which has already been used (but not by me) effectively. What else would be good? I know I won't be as prepared as Matt "Las Vegas" Adams at this point, but a few things wouldn't hurt.

Can't wait to meet everyone! :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back