Colorado Colors Run 2000 | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Colorado Colors Run 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 days? aww crap, I better get packing! :). I was planning on bringing a few spare handheld CB's but my plans were thwarted due to losing a few ebay auctions at the last second :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CB's

Who or how many are needing CB's? I actually carry a spare now. I would be willing to loan one if needed. You would need one of those $20 mag mount antenna's though.

So , in the spirit of helping others, " Who needs a CB? "

I'm ready to go now! But, need to repack wheel bearings tonight & change the oil....

Rob " Just another Bubba from Texas " Robertson

Route Decided Upon

I have decided which way I'm going! :confused:

Thursday evening, dinner in Albuquerque, then off to Gallup. Most likely, we'll spend the night in Gallup, and head up to Ouray in the morning. If anyone is there at the same time, give me a call on my cell phone - we'll see about meeting up.

I've also decided to leave work early today :bounce: - I might just hit the road this evening, instead of waiting until tomorrow morning.

See everyone at Rotary Park, noon on Friday! :smoke:

Originally posted by GJarrett
CB's are REQUIRED in every vehicle participating in this run. Do not show up without one.

I think it is ridiculous that people that are members of this club and our firends would be turned away from an event for not having a cb. I agree it is a major advantage to the driver to have one in the car during a run, but it most surtainly should not be grounds for rejection from the run.

Dignan - I don't think it's that you won't be allowed to do the runs if you don't have a CB, but rather a very strong advisement to get a CB. Why wouldn't you get a CB? You can pick them up for dirt cheap just about anywhere and they make the whole run process easier. I've done runs with CB and without and without is much more difficult, and its very frustrating trying to get in communication with the one or two people without CB's, especially if they get seperated from the group. It is time consuming for the whole group if one person does not have a CB, as every time they NEED to get a hold of the person the whole group will need to stop, flash headlights or whatever, get out of the vehicles and talk to the person when they don't need to. It's not that we wouldn't let you go on the run but it is strongly advised that you do get a CB, its just a pain in the butt if you don't...

CB's! & Route

OK, First CB's

Very important! However, I strongly feel that we as a group can help the new people or first trail run people out this time. Once they make a run they will see the importance of a CB. That's why I carry a spare. Gerald made a strong statement and I don't blame him. It is important, but I think we can help out those who need it.
So who needs a CB? :bounce:

Route

I think I'm taking highway 371 North out of Thoreau, There's a really nice truckstop there with an Iorn Skillet resteraunt. Acording to my local source this is quicker than hitting Gallup and going North there.

Also, road construction on 40 around Albuequrque is really bad, They close down sections at night and route you onto service roads. During the day we should be fine. I'll be through there around 11:00 A.M. on Friday.

Ready to go!

[Edited by Gofast on 08-29-2000 at 09:08 AM]

I agree with Rob on the CB thing. Most new people to this don't have a clue what they are missing without one so once they get on a run and see what its like they go oh.. :) Course I have been known to turn my CB off at times when people just sit there and blab about every Rock on the trail. :D

I myself probably won't make this run this time. Oh well I would rather go on the runs that are out of state anyway. More fun. :)

Outa Here!!!!!!

I'm cuttin' out of work in a half hour, and I doubt I'll check the board once I get home, so this is it for me. I'll see everyone Friday!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Campfires

Just a tidbit more information to pass along to everyone. Just got off the phone with the KOA. Although there IS a fire ban on all public lands in this area, they (the KOA) are still allowing SMALL campfires. So for those of you without campstoves, PBJ and raw smores will not be your only options for dinner. ;)

Jeez, is it really only 3 days away?!? :D Can't wait. See you all soon.

CCR 2000

Just finishing up last minute work. Really excited about getting away for 2 weeks. We will be pulling out Thursday night and arriving either late Friday or Saturday AM. Either way I don't think we will be able to do any run an Saturday (either tired from 23 hour drive or won't be there early enough in the AM on Saturday). Any way we will be ready on Sunday. See you all there.

I just want EVERYONE to have a good time

I guess I need to explain my last post....
No, you won't be turned away if you don't have a CB. Everyone is welcome. BUT:

When I wrote the "Trail Equipment" article I got a lot of conflicting opinion on whether a CB should be required or not. My first thought was that it shouldn't be required, but strongly advised. All of the "oldtimers" were of the opinion that it should be required. I went ahead and wrote the article saying it was required, while still of the opinion that it shouldn't be a deal-killer for a run.

The very next run I went on there was a group of three J**pers that could not negotiate one of the obstacles we did, so we agreed to meet back at the entrance to that part of the trail about 1/4 mile to the north. None of those Jeeps had CBs, and within 200 yards of the thick woods they made a wrong turn, got involved in some other group that had a guy in mud, and we waited and waited and waited until I struck out to find them. On a single afternoon run, we wasted nearly two hours of it trying to find that group that was only 200 yards away from us. If they had CBs it would not have happened. Gee, imagine that, those oldtimers knew what they were talking about. What a concept.

All of the rest of us had to worry about where those J**pers were and wait to find out what happened. This was a mere one afternoon run, so time was critical. Instead of tackling new obastacles, we wasted a large portion of all of our time that day dealing with those who chose to come unprepared in dis-respect of the value of our time and instead chose to burden an entire group with their non-planning.

I am traveling about 1,000 miles one way to attend this run, using up the only precious little vacation I have left this year. If you don't have a CB, you could cost me a half day or more of what I came out for, if you get in a similar situation. And don't say it can't happen. It can happen to ANY of us (me included). Ask the Truckhaven group what happened to Wendy, and thank God she did have a CB. Who knows what would have happened if she didn't. A boy just DIED in Moab after he got lost because no one could communicate with him.

We are going to strictly enforce the "make sure there is someone in your rearview mirror" safety rule which will hopefully prevent anything from happening, but the CB is like wearing a seatbelt in case the unexpected happens.

We've got vehicles worth several thousand dollars, are using vacation time to get out there, we're spending lotsa $$$ to campout, plus hotel, food, fuel, etc etc etc and my question is: what is so hard about spending another $20 on a cheap magnetic antenna and either buying a cheapo CB or borrowing one from Rob and/or whomever else in our group will gladly loan out? I do not see the problem.

A lot of work went into the "Trail Equipment" article. I wrote it, but am not necessarily the author. The collective experience of many with years of fourwheeling under their belts is reflected in that article. Much discussion went into the items in the"Required Items" section. No, you won't be turned away if you show up without a CB, or a spare tire, or water, or anything else on that list probably. You can even show up with 2wd, and I'll bet all of us will still welcome you with open arms. That's how we are.

When you need one of those items this weekend you'll learn that I wasn't the one who was being inconsiderate to ask you to bring them, but rather it was you who was being inconsiderate to ruin two dozen other people's day by not taking the trouble to spend another twenty bucks for an antenna and asking for a loaner, or not bothering to get a good spare, or forcing us to strap your 2wd over every obstacle, or whatever else the situation that comes up may be. The point was made that it was an advantage to the driver to have a CB. My point is that it is even more of a disadvantage to OTHER drivers to not bring a CB.

Everyone is welcome on our run. I am only asking that proper preparation is made by every participant in consideration of all the other participants who are also attending.

I just reread this and it still sounded hard. I am sorry, it's just the way I feel. Many of us are coming a LONG way for this and I just want everyone to be considerate enough of others to be prepared enough to allow everyone to have a great time.

[Edited by GJarrett on 08-30-2000 at 05:16 AM]

The last word?

Wow! Everything Gerrald said is true. However, e-mail really does limit our ability to really express ourselves. I agree with Gerald ( It sounds harsh ) but I don't think his intent is to sway you from coming. I really like the fact that mentioned the "group" and inconveninceing people.

At Moab, I blew out a tire. I felt really bad about slowing down the group while I patched my tire with equipment borrowed from Rick. I had no spare tire either. It was everything I could do to just make it to MOAB and honestly ran out of time to by a full size spare. I still owe Rick a big thanks for his help and now that I think about it a few bucks to replentish his kit. ( I feel real bad now )

However, I learned from a great group of people what a "Real" run is like. I now have my own patch kit and a full size spare and a highlift jack!

If you need a CB, send me a message. I'll borrow from friends here if I need too. You will enjoy this run and realise how much a CB adds to the fun & safty of a trail run.

Don't be shy, send a Private message if you need any of the required equipment! :bounce:

Now, Let's go have FUN!:D

Well Gerald,
Your being alot more accomidating than I would be. If you DON'T Have a SPARE TIRE, YOU SHOULD NOT GO! It is very easy to ruin a tire 4wheeling. It is in not fair to rely on others for such basic needs. Do yourself and others a favor and go out and get this stuff.

Experiance

Ray, I think you were referring to me.

Yes, I'm being very accomadating. I want to help the new people enjoy offroading. There are many things they need to bring and it can be overwhelming. At the time in MOAB I never expected to blow a tire. It just never entered my mind that I could ruin a brand new tire. Guess what, I did and thanks to Rick I survived that accident. I learned from it too, I now have a spare, a kit, a lift etc.

My only point earlier was that if someone needed something, let us know. I know that some people are really making this trip on a thin budget. A CB may not sound expensive, but when your eating PBJ's on the whole trip just to make it there.....

Anyway, I agree with Gerald that there is a list of things that are really needed on the trails. But, also we are exposing many new people to offroading in an Explorer. This is a new experiance for them. I want to try and help them this time, like Rick helped me. Just passing it on.

Again, Does anyone need a CB? :bounce: or anything else?

I hope everyone gathers the importance of the trail equipment and the safty that goes with that list.

Sincerly
Rob Robertson
AKA "Gofast"

We're ready to roll!!

Just got the rig back and we're ready to rock and roll!!

The BIG dog lives!

Rick, Great news! This is the icing on the cake. I can't believe that I'm this excited about someone else's truck.

What time should we schedule the photo & drool session? :D

I told my wife that the next big thing I wanted to do to the truck was the Atlas II and then the solid front coil set-up. She asked how much for the Atlas II, I told her 3K, She then asked how much on the front end, I told her 6K. She said the Atlas II didn't sound to bad for next year.

A small victory. :)

See ya in Colorado!

Wild Fires

The CCR trip is the start of a 2 week tour from Ouary to Yellowstone to Bozman to the Black Hills and then home. I am starting to worry if the wild fires are going to change my plans, anyone in the area could you please let me know if I should start changing them.

To Everyone!!!

I just want to thank everyone who has worked at getting this trip together.
Our family is really looking forward to fourwheeling with a bunch of other Explorer's. :bounce:

As for the CB discussion, this is our first BIG trail run and I have to say the CB is pretty important. A few months ago we went on a trail with only four Explorer's and the CB's came in really handy. Like you said, you don't have to stop and get out all the time when it isn't necessary. We don't have one, but I HAVE BORROWED MY DAD'S so we will have one. :D
I did stop by the 4x4 shop and my spare tire rack will be finished, so we are ready.....

Looking forward to meeting other people that enjoy the outdoors and Explorer's.

Thanks again for all the work guys!!!!
:bounce: :bounce:

I Wish you all Safe traveling and Gods speed. Wish Sandy and I could be there with you all, but the trucks still in the shop.

DON'T FORGET THE PICTURES. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES, I want to see PICTURES!!! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ray, we're going to miss you guys! Don't worry though we're planning a Truckhaven or Los Coyotes run for the end of September or sometime in October! Nothing big just a get together for those in need of a fourwheeling fix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back