Colored Emblems Gone Bad!!

TurboR

Reaction score
City, State
Waterford, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hey Guys,
I just wanted to start out saying that i did alot of searching on this subject.
I am having a problem trying to color the blue ford oval emblems on my 01 Sport. I'll start off with the rear hatch emblem:
I cant seem to seperate the clear plastic piece from the chrome plastic piece. I first started off by heating both sides of the emblem. Carefully, i started to peel the clear piece out, it all came out great until i got to the chrome ford letters. I peeled very slowly but unfourtunatly the letters came apart ruining the emblem. I decided to just keep going anyways. By the time i got the entire piece out it was now bent like a bananna. Well, i ruined that one, so i thought i would start on the bigger front grill emblem.
Unlike the hatch emblem, it seems that the front clear plastic is much softer, not hard plastic like the rear one. I heated that one up too, and tried to carefull get that one out. But when i tried to pop it upt, it just ripped. kind of like if you stuck a small screwdriver into a bouncy ball and twisted, its that soft. I thought i heated that one up too much, so i ruined that one too and ordered a new set. today i looked at the front one and it seems to be made of that very same soft plastic.
I screwed around with the old ones today to practice. i think ill be able to do the rear one with no problem, but the the front is gonna be hard. The clear plastic seems to tear too easy, but once i get past the chrome inner outline it seems to lift fine. Also the chrome letters are molded right to the chrome plastic, its not the same as the rear emblem. also the clear plastic is very flimsy and soft, i can bend it in half without it breaking.
Has anyone else had this problem? and if so what did you do? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. SEAN

CLiff Notes:: Having a problem coloring my 01 sport emblems. Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, my front one that I did first, the letters did not coperate.
The rear one turned out near flawless.
I guess it boils down to a science.
and a little luck.
:)

i don't think its a science i think its luck...sometimes they come off easy sometimes not....i've tried this on at least 20 emblems...some times they are easy sometimes they just ruin the lettering go figure

If anyone can host I have pics...

It is very easy to screw up. Get some emblems from the junkyard to practice before jumping into the final ones.

There is a site called johnsmustang that sells them in black. I talked to the guy, he said there is like 20 different sizes, ill give him the part number and see what he can do.I think they are around $30 or something like that. Ill let you guys know. it might be easier just to do that. any more suggestions?

Bummer, i just got off the phone with the guys at johnsmustang, the emblems look black on their site, but they are actually blue. Ill ship the emblems to anyone who is willing to do it for me...any takers?

Well I ordered 2 from Scott Deel at http://planetauto.homestead.com/emblems.html and they should be in next week after the holiday. They are a little pricey though, but if they match my truck and I like them, then they are worth every cent I paid.

Hi TurboR:

Boominxplorer and gijoe have both done theirs. At one time, gijoe offered to post instructions, but I don't think he ever did it. They both said it was easy. I, too, would like to learn how to do this. I'd rather do it myself than pay $50 apiece for them.

Might it work better if the emblem is heated in an oven very slowly (more heat transfer to the inside than using a hair dryer)? Can a rear emblem be modified to use in the front (easier to remove the harder plastic)?

Regards,
John.

TurboR- That happens all the time I ruined 2 emblems from the chrome pop out of the letters and 1 emblem twisted. This just happens.
what are you using to take apart the emblem? I used a swiss army pocket knife and that worked perfect the knife blade was really thin and the sharp blade help also by cutting the stuff that holds the emblem together.

the tool man-Well I did not post instructions because I think Hartman posted some awhile ago.
I don't think you could us the oven to heat it up because you might make it easier for the chrome to pop out of the letters.
Yes the rear emblems will work in the front I found the rear emblems easier to pop off the grill. I have a rear emblem on my front grill.

Back