• Register Today It's free!

COMMON 4.10 donors....

jfman

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 manual tranny
Is there a certain type of explorer that commony holds 4.10 gears ?

The reason I am asking is because I can buy cars at a salvage auction but they dont give you the VIN or the axle code but they tell you what kind of motor is in it and the trim level along with detailed pics of the car.

They are pretty far from me and I dont like take a 3hours drive to check out yet another explorer with 3.73 gears.

I went today and all 5 explorers there had 3.73's all were 4.0's OHV

Are 4.10 gears more common in v8's ?

Eddie bauer edition ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not 100% sure, but the gearing it doesn't have anything to do with the engines.i'm sure that xlt, eddie bauer, limited etc it just different interior and exterior options, but nothing to do with the gear ratio.
gear ratio is for towing capacity.

the easiest way to check the gear of each explorer is looking at the side of drivers door and you should see an axle code from one below.

41 - 3.27 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
45 - 3.55 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
46 - 3.73 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
42 - 4.10 non-limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D1 - 3.27 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D4 - 3.73 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer)
D2 - 4.10 limited slip (Explorer/Mountaineer

hope i help

4.10's are rare from the factory, but they do exist.
There is no way to know without looking at the door sticker or axle tag, sorry

My 2000 sport has them. I think the second gen Sports have them more commonly. The four doors had 235/70/16 tires and the Sports had 255/70/16, part of the reason for the 4.10 would be to compensate for the larger tires and part would be presumably to put some sport into the vehicle.

My 2000 sport has them. I think the second gen Sports have them more commonly. The four doors had 235/70/16 tires and the Sports had 255/70/16, part of the reason for the 4.10 would be to compensate for the larger tires and part would be presumably to put some sport into the vehicle.

I will keep that in mind :D All the ones I saw today were 4 doors ;)

BTW: I know the rear diff is different but does the FRONT diff on 98up rangers fit 95-01 explorers ?

And yes I know about the door sticker but I dont have acces to them unless I drive up there.

no
Sports dont get 4.10 gears any more then 4 doors do.
4.10 gears were either ordered from the dealer or the customer, otherwise most 4x4 trucks had 3.73, many 2wd got 3.55 and you wouldnt be surprised to find 3.55 in a 4x4 4 door with a towing package just like you could find 3.37 in a 2 door sport 2wd.

Sport Tracs and Ranger Edge are most likely to have 4.10 gears, but they also are spring over, and non disc brake.

Only the ranger Edge 4x4 has the same front torsion bar suspension as 95+ Explorer's

if you are looking for factory 4.10 gears, its a crap shoot. Second generation sports do not have 4.10's more commonly, most of them have 3.73 just like all other gen II Explorer's

Sport Tracs and Ranger Edge are most likely to have 4.10 gears, but they also are spring over, and non disc brake.

Only the ranger Edge 4x4 has the same front torsion bar suspension as 95+ Explorer's

Are you sure that ONLY the edge 4X4 have the tortion bar setup ? I know of at least 2 non edge rangers with the same suspention as me.... I know from 98up, the rangers all have IFS.

Oh and most of them have rear disc brakes too...

is your Explorer 2wd?

I think I've seen about 4 or 5 Sport models with 4.10's, all were trailer towing package optioned trucks. I've never seen a 5.0 with 4.10's, 2WD, 4WD or otherwise. The 3.73's are pretty common in the 5.0, I think that was the only option with the AWD's. The gears will physically interchange between the Rangers and the X's, I'm not sure about housings. I'm in the process of switching my '98 XLT from 3.73's to 4.10's. I have the gears for the Dana 35 front, I just need a set of 4.10's for the 8.8" rear (the easy part because it seems like all the parts places have these in stock).

all 8.8 ring and pinions are interchangeable, Mustang, F-150, Explorer, Ranger it doesnt matter, the carriers do not interchange of course, the cars and ranger used 28 splines while the Explorer and F-150 use 31.
the housings are different from 28 spline to 31, the smaller ones are commonly refered to as "small tube 8.8"

I have seen plenty of Explorers and rangers, 3.73 gears are the most common, 3.55 and 4.10 show up every once in a while.
Colorado RARLEY sees a 2wd truck in the junk yard so I am not familiar with those models

It is my understanding that only the 4x4 Ranger edge has the same torsion bar IFS as the 4x4 Explorer, I am not sure if that has changed, but I do know there is only one true IFS LT kit on the market that will fit the ranger Edge or Explorer

Not sure if all new rangers have rear discs, perhaps somebody more familiar with the late model Rangers will chime in.

my 4 door 4x4 XLT has 3.55's :-(

Brett has one for sale right now, limited slip, 31 spline, 4.10 gears only has 3000 miles on it (2004 ranger Edge t boned, his SOHC donor) however it has drum brakes (no biggie, discs bolt on)

how much would it cost to get regeared to 4.10 with lsd? from a 3.55

gears are $99, install kit is $99 installation varies a great deal, anywhere from $200-500
The limited slip you already have or no?

no sadly i have 3.55 opens

My ex is 4x4 manual trans 3.55 open diff. it's a 4 door model.

It's not that great with 33's

I dont want to settle for 3.73 because I dont hink it will make good enough a difference. But I guess I may have to... we'll see.

I'm not tearing into my diffs. This is a daily D and I dont have time for a project like that.

My truck could use newer springs and cleaner seats etc...

The best way to go about it is buying a parts truck IMO. Plus i'd ahve stuff left over to sell :D

my problem with buy the parts truck would be no place to keep it and no time to do a swap work + 2 year old = no time lol

no
Sports dont get 4.10 gears any more then 4 doors do.
4.10 gears were either ordered from the dealer or the customer, otherwise most 4x4 trucks had 3.73, many 2wd got 3.55 and you wouldnt be surprised to find 3.55 in a 4x4 4 door with a towing package just like you could find 3.37 in a 2 door sport 2wd.

I seem to remember reading that any Sport or EB with 16" (and thus 30" tires from the factory) wheels has 4.10's

Mine does :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not positive but i dont think the 5.0 explorers would come with a 4.10, i thought they were all around 3.73, since they had more torque then a 6cyl. I might be wrong, but its just an observation
my SOHC EB 4 door came with them, they also came with the larger 255/70/60 tires. They might be the reason i would think. oh yeah, its a 2000 model too, if that helps

Back