COMMON 4.10 donors.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

COMMON 4.10 donors....

I seem to remember reading that any Sport or EB with 16" (and thus 30" tires from the factory) wheels has 4.10's

Mine does :)

I'm pretty sure this is true also. My sport has them. I think a sport with 16"s and towing package will most likely have them. Probably any explorer that came with 255/70/R16 (aprox 30") tires will have them, or at least be your best bet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll have to look at the sales brochure when I get home, but IIRC, for the '98 model year, the Sport with the 4.0 SOHC and the 16" tires came with the 4.10... I'll pull out the paperwork when I get home.

I do know mine has it... just never realized it was such a rare find...

-Joe

I'll have to look at the sales brochure when I get home, but IIRC, for the '98 model year, the Sport with the 4.0 SOHC and the 16" tires came with the 4.10... I'll pull out the paperwork when I get home.

I do know mine has it... just never realized it was such a rare find...

-Joe

I don't think its that rare... I'm pretty sure a 16" wheel is the indication b/c they came with 255/70R16 (30") tires

I don't think its that rare... I'm pretty sure a 16" wheel is the indication b/c they came with 255/70R16 (30") tires

I suspect you're correct, but you'll never glean that info from the VIN, unless you called a dealership and had them look it up...

Or....

Check out www.motorcraft.com --> Part lookup --> in the left hand column, click on 'VIN Lookup' then enter the VIN... It'll at least tell you the engine size, transmission, and OEM tires (although mine is incorrectly listed...)

-Joe

I thought all sports with SOHC and 16" tires had 4.10's, all the ones I test drove at one time had 4.10's.

also, i dont think it would necessarily have to have a tow package for 4.10 either, mine came with no tow package

I seem to remember reading that any Sport or EB with 16" (and thus 30" tires from the factory) wheels has 4.10's

Most have 3.73s like my 2003 Sport with 16" tires did.

I was quoted $700 to install gears not including parts.

i have a tow package on my xlt but mine still have with open 3.55's

OK, just looking at the '98 sales brochure... the V-8s all had the 3.73, the 4.10 was available behind both of the 4.0 liters, but only with the automatic trans. Flipping to the old spreadsheet at the back, it shows that the 4.10 rear end was

-Optional on the Premium Sport package only, (934A trim package). If it is a Sport, and has the fog lamps, the door keypad, the high series center console, or leather seats, then it *could* have a 4.10.

-Now, moving over to the 4-doors, the 4.10 was only optional with the V-6 equipped Eddie Bauers. Just because it's an EB doesn't mean it definitely has the 4.10, but if it's a 4-door and it's NOT an EB, it definitely not a 4.10.

In either case, the trailer towing package is not an indication of which rear end it has. The TT package included either the 3.73 or the 4.10 rear end.

That should help narrow your search anyways... Also, I can't guarantee that those facts hold true outside the 98 model year. Maybe we can get someone else to look up the other years' brochures. (I wish Ford archived 'em!)

Interesting thing though... I was looking at my window sticker, and mine included the 4.10 rear and the 'Aluminum wheels 16x7' as 'No Charge' options... Wonder why that was? Heck, there's no mention of the 16" aluminum rims anywhere to be found. Wonder if it was a late addition for the 98s?

-Joe

edit: Oh, and I didn't have the tow package either....

dealer packages are often no charge as a sales incentive.

IMO there is no way to know for sure without looking at the truck.
4.10's have been an option since the 84 ranger....

IMO there is no way to know for sure without looking at the truck.
4.10's have been an option since the 84 ranger....

Ditto. I think we can safely say that there is no one defining characteristic that can define which axle it's equipped with. However, we can safely say that unless it's a 2-door with the luxury group (high series floor console, overhead console, the door keypad, and puddle lamps), or a 4-door Eddie Bauer, it's guaranteed to NOT be a 4.10.

I'm going to have a look at OASIS when I get to work tomorrow... I think it lists the axle ratio in there IIRC. If so, then any Ford dealership *should* be able to look it up and tell you for sure.

My buddies Eddie has 4.10's :) he ordered it that way from Ford
so you cant 100% count them out

My buddies Eddie has 4.10's :) he ordered it that way from Ford
so you cant 100% count them out

I'm not... I said, "unless it's a .... or a 4-door Eddie Bauer, it's guaranteed to NOT be a 4.10." In other words, the only way it *could* have a 4.10 in it is if it's an Eddie Bauer 4-door, (or a Sport 2-door with the afore-mentioned options included only with the highest trim package.) In other words, if it's a 4-door and it's not an EB, it can't have the 4.10. Being an EB doesn't guarantee a 4.10, but it ups the odds.

edit: Disclaimer: I'm only talking with reference to the '98 model year literature. Other model years may vary...

sorry you are 100% correct :)

exactly :)

Both my explorers have 3.73 LSs . I just picked up a 4.10 front D35 diff off ebay. I may either look for a 4.10 LS rear or just put gears in mine.

Tim

Back