Comparison: 2000 X & 1988 Grand Wagoneer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Comparison: 2000 X & 1988 Grand Wagoneer

Reaction score
City, State
Wenatchee, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Ok, I'll say it up front I'm a "dyed in the wool" Jeep fan, but due to life circumstances I had to get rid of my Grand Wagoneer and buy a newer vehicle that got decent mileage etc............. so, here's the lowdown:

1988 Grand Wagoneer: 360 V8, 2bbl carb, Chryco TF727 tranny, Dana 44's front and rear w/3.31 ratio. 30x9.50 tires and 2 inch Add A Leafs all around.

2000 Explorer XLS, 4.0 SOHC, 5 spd auto, 235x75r15 tires, 3.55 gear ratio non L/S.

I had my X off road for the first time today and here are some observations / comparisons.

1. The Jeep has MUCH more wheel travel and clearance, and is VERY hard to bottom out. The X bottoms very easily.

2. Torque on the Jeep max's at about 2500 RPM and on the X it's much higher. ie.. the Jeep rocks at low RPM.

3. The X is much better on road with the 5spd auto and fulie 4.0 sohc, although not a whole lot smoother???

4. X gets much better mileage, although I dont have a difinitive number. The jeep got 14mpg BEST CASE on the highway and about 10 around town. The X is much better.

5. They both seem to have comparable traction off-road, although neither had lockers so it's tough to tell.

6. Although the X is smoother off road, it's not as smooth as I would have thought and it's bareley better than a Grand Wagoneer with solid axels f&r with leaf springs all the way around.

7. And what is with the weird noises I get in low range? It seems to work great but God it sounds terrible.

Anyways nothing scientific here, just an observation, and yes I do like my X and plan on keeping it for a while, just wanted to share my observations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those Wagoneers are great trucks...

You said your Grand Wagoneer had a 2" lift all around, well...your Explorer doesn't have any lift...as it is right now it's kind of an apples and oranges comparison...
And with the Wagoneer having solid axles that will help it some offroad too...Until you mod your Ex a little for offroad, it's no surprise it did better offroad.

What where you expecting a killer offroad machine? :) An explorer isn't the best offroad vehicle in its stock form but what is? while you're never going to get as much flex up front as you would with a jeep you can however get alot of travel out of the rear even with stock springs. I assume you had your sway bars on, if to take them off the ride will smooth out alot and you will get alot more wheel travel. You're definantly gonna be betting alot more lowend torque out of a V8, the 4.0 sohc develops its power in a higher RPM range. As for the noises in lowrange theyre probably normal, I get a fair amount of popping and some banging in low range. but that is the case with most vehicles in low range. With some minor modifications the explorer can be made into a compitent offroad vehicle.

I didnt mean to sound like I was ripping on the Xplorer, I really do like it and I still have my 1974 J10 (see sig) for serious offroading. I was just giving a seat of the pants comparison, and yes it was apples to oranges even though they are the same clasification of vehicle (SUV). Interesting to see how technology improves some things but takes away others. Anyhoo I do love my X, I'm still just getting used to it!!!!!

Explorers are meant to haul gorceries and kif=ds around, not really intended to go offroad, but with a little work, and I mean little things here and there, they will do very very well. You're J10 is a heavy duty truck, intended for offroading, but I'm willing to bet it's a PITA to keep running right, those damn AMC engines suck, sorry

I am looking forward to getting bigger tires, hopefully 31x10.5's (or at least 30.9.5's) that should make a big difference. I would lift it a little bit but this is my primary driver so I dont want to mess with the suspension too much, plus it's still under warranty. Yes, the AMC engines are a bit temperamental but there are some common probs that are easily remedied. (like the vacuum lines, seems like everything is vacuum driven on them and if one line has leak, then nothing works right) I actually have the 258 6cyl which although it never really runs "right", it always runs and never dies. You cant kill those motors, as long as you keep oil in it and keep it cool. Anyways great site here that I've already gleaned much info from, keep up the great work!!

Back