How to: - Complete Body Detail | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Complete Body Detail

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here we go. I am going to do a complete body detail of my 98 Explorer. First will be a wash, then clay bar. The wash again, then use some compound to remove some scratches. Then will use a swirl remover. Then a glaze to bring out the shine. Then will use some Klasse All In 1 glaze to give it a final seal. After all of that then I will wax. I will list the products that I use, exactly as I use them.

Notice the new hood scoop, EE Airdam, billet grille and bumper billet. New CobraR mag wheels and Pirelli tires.

First set of pictures is after I washed her. Now getting ready to use a clay bar. The clay bar I am using is by Meguiar's.

BEFORE Clay Bar

215127-20BeforeClay1.JPG

215127-20BeforeClay2.JPG

215127-20BeforeClay3.JPG

215127-20BeforeClay4.JPG

215127-20BeforeClay5.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But how would that fix the paint under the clearcoat? I have it so slick right now you can't tell the difference between the painted surfaces and glass.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I almost forgot. Today while cleaning my truck, LOL. I didn't like the way there were 3 different tints of glass down the side. The front had a light "legal" tint that was a bronze color, then the factory tint on the rear doors and then the dark tint on the back. So I changed the front tint to match the back doors. Now the tint on all 4 doors match and then the last 3 windows in the back are super dark and they all match. Just a little something I thought would make a difference.

UtahX said:
If you want to seal the paint use Klasse SG not 4 in 1 (it's called AIO = All In One). AIO is a cleaner with some protection, but SG is the sealant.
I wanted to check on this first before I opened my mouth and said something that wasn't right. The reason for not using the Klasse SG now is because I don't want to seal it completely right at this point. I want to use the Klasse AIO to help bring in the deptness of the shine and then hit it with some P21 wax. After a few weeks of drying time, I will then seal it with a few coats of Klasse SG. If I used the SG now,it would remove all of the wax I put on it and I definately plan on putting multiple coats of P21. I wish I had the strength to use the whole can up, and who knows, with some effort and go power I just may. My game plan is to put on 1-3 coats of Klasse AIO and then 3-5 coats of P21 wax.

edit to add, I also have 3 of those pricey little rags that the detailers use now. Those are so soft, softer than toilet paper. LOL. But pricey to say the least.

Looks damn good!

Actually, you want to put the Klasse SG on before you use the P21S wax, not after. Wax can be used as a topper for a sealant, but a sealant cannot "lock in" the look of wax. In fact, the SG will not bond to any carnauba wax. Wax also doesn't really layer, so IMO, 3-5 coats of it is total overkill. AIO it, seal it up with a coat or two of SG and then one or two coats or P21S and you'll be good to go. Hit it up again with the wax every month, as that's probably all the durability you'll get from the P21S in that hot Texas sun.

Mike

Mike 92 XLT said:
Looks damn good!

Actually, you want to put the Klasse SG on before you use the P21S wax, not after. Wax can be used as a topper for a sealant, but a sealant cannot "lock in" the look of wax. In fact, the SG will not bond to any carnauba wax. Wax also doesn't really layer, so IMO, 3-5 coats of it is total overkill. AIO it, seal it up with a coat or two of SG and then one or two coats or P21S and you'll be good to go. Hit it up again with the wax every month, as that's probably all the durability you'll get from the P21S in that hot Texas sun.

Mike
Hmmm, I was on the phone last night for about 30 minutes talking with David Ostroff, with Auotpia Car Care and he agreed with me. The reason behind it is because the P21s does not last long by itself. This way by letting it cure good and then putting a sealant on it, it gives it some gloves to fight with. But tell you what. I am a fair man for now, LOL. I will copy and paste your reply and ask even another professional there advice and get an aopinion if you don't mind. I am also in contact with a person whom I have never met named Peggy. She is also at Autopia and I will ask for her advice. I am old and all we use to have was some polishing compound and a can of paste wax to do our cars with. But of course paint was a lot different back then. No clear coats and stuff. I could be wrong and so could David, but we will see what she says if you don't mind. That's the thing about the Internet, you can talk to professionals without really knowing who they are or having to "pay" them, ROFL. Oh and she is suppose to call me also today on the phone. The reason for the phone calls is customer support. I bought the Porter Cable buffer and pads from them. They know they got a batch of defective pads in and are doing everything they can to resolve this issue. The problem is, they don't have any "good" orange pads in and that is what I need right now the most. But will still continue my path of the "Perfect Shine" LOL.

Ronnie - Will copy and paste there answers for everyone to see.

I agree with what Mike says. Really, you might not even need the AIO if there is no hazing, or marring from the previous applications of products used. But then again I'm not sure if SG will bond to the 3M products. Waxes are LSPs. The SG will give you more protection then the P21S ever will, plus the shine you get from SG will be amazing to say the least. The P21S will/might give you a deeper/warmer/wetter look. You bought some SONUS acrylic spray I think? This is for boosting the SG in-between washes, to make things easier for you instead of waxing every month or so, wash and then apply the SONUS.

I bought a kit about 6 months ago, called the "Perfect Shine" from Autopia. It did not have everything there that I am using. I certainly hope that the AIO bonds with the 3M. We will find out later today on the hood, LOL.

The AIO is a light abrasive cleanser polish. It basically preps the surface for the SG. This will take some wax off the top. But I'm just like you, Ron. I always SMR before doing AIO. It's a whole lot better that way.

Billy, sorry for being a dummy here, but what is SMR? I probably know, but my mind isn't working well right now. I am waiting on a phone call from Autopia right now. Will replay exactly what they tell me. So far, they are staying with use the AIO now, top it with P21S, then letting that cure and hitting it with the SG.

The reason I am still waiting is that Mike's reply just makes too much sense to me. I mean using common logic, it is correct in every way. But I want to hear the opinions of some professionals on this also. The more responses the better I always say. Plus I am not looking forward to applying another coat of 3M by hand just yet. It wears me out. LOL.

Mike 92 XLT said:
Mike
Dang Mike. Ya killing me here, LOL. This just makes allot of sense to me. I had everything planned step by step and this makes so much sense to me, I am holding off right now till I get a reply from David or Peggy at Autopia to confirm where I am right now and where I should be going with these products. I certainly do not want to waste my time if something won't bond to another. But I thought I chose all of my products carefully and each one would compliment the other to acheive the shine I am looking for.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Billy, sorry for being a dummy here, but what is SMR? I probably know, but my mind isn't working well right now. I am waiting on a phone call from Autopia right now. Will replay exactly what they tell me. So far, they are staying with use the AIO now, top it with P21S, then letting that cure and hitting it with the SG.

SMR is acronym for 3M's Swirl Mark Remover. But DO NOT put P21S before SG because the P21S won't ever bond onto the SG. AIO preps for the SG. So what I always do whenever I detail is to SMR, AIO, SGx3 then top it off with S100x2 (P21S).

Thanks for the replies. Hey, I can't argue with logic. So I don't have any SG on hand. I am placing an order today for the new pads and will order some SG now. So after I apply the Klasse AIO, maybe today, but no later than Monday I will apply the SG and THEN apply the P21S Wax. I may take today off, LOL.

I would wait at least 24 hours before putting the P21S over the SG.

Damn nice work BBQ! Pardon me for being nosey, but, are you retired?

I wish local detailers took the time and used the quality supplies that you use. I have to have the Trac done, but the locals use Meguiars supplies, so the job (save the buffing) will not last long...

By the way, it's looking really good!

ton_e_montana said:
Damn nice work BBQ! Pardon me for being nosey, but, are you retired?
LOL, Am I retarded? ROFL. No, I am on the disabled list right now. Have to come off soon though and get back in the game, I am as bored as they come right now. And your not being nosey. I had told everyone before in a different thread. I only have a few more years and I will retire, if I had Bill's money I would retire right now, LOL.

LOL...the one he's gonna kill. :p J/K!!!

Well talked to Peggy, and she says the same thing as yall about putting the P21S on the very last. I don't know why David told me earlier. I guess he may have misunderstood what I was doing or saying. But thanks to everyone for clearing this up for me before I made a mistake. I took the day off. I just didn't have it in me to do anymore today. When I got to the shop this morning, the doors were open and it was about 90 degrees in there. No way am I going to try and apply a polish by hand and then remove it by hand in that type of heat. Will have to wait now till they get there A/C fixed. On a good note, they did start to work on my stereo again today. I guess they are getting tired of seeing me everyday, plus I am driving there vehicle now. They asked if I was going to leave it today and I just looked and said, "Is my truck ready?". No reply so they answered there own question with mine, LOL. But I need to get that SG in as soon as possible. It's not available around here in the local stores.

Alright. Had Peggy with customer service on the phone again. I am holding up everything right now. They are shipping my new replacement pads to me and want me to add another step in. After I have applied the 3M hand glaze, which I will doing the 2nd and final coat tomorrow and will let it sit for 48 hours to cure cause they are closed on Sunday anyway, I will be doing an additional step with some Sonus Paintwork Cleaner. She said if I didn't like this and couldn't see a big improvement in just 1 coat, and this is to be hand applied also, money back guarantee. Then to add the Klasse AIO, 1 coat, then Klasse SG, 2 coats, then go wild with the P21S, as many coats as I feel with a minimum of 12 hours between coats to cure. So everyday the Explorer is in there shop, I will add a coat of wax. LOL, they gotta get tired of me and get my truck out. Will take the truck outside and get some pictures too. See how it looks under the sun instead of a shop with good florescent lighting. Also the final step will be the black trim. For this I have chosen 1Z Vinyl & Rubber Care. Suppose to be some real good stuff. So we will give it the before and after test and see just how good it is.

Gang, keep watching me and if you see me doing another big mistake, jump all over it. That was a big one if I would have waxed it before the sealing. Oh My!!!

Back