Complete stereo system upgrade 1996 Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Complete stereo system upgrade 1996 Limited

Should I replace the amp or bypass it?

Ok so I have a 96 explorer sport (two door). I have recently gotten a new head unit and replaced all four door speakers with nice aftermarket ones. I have had a problem with some of the speakers cutting in and out: sometimes certain speakers will be much more quiet or completely cut off. This problem was present when everything was stock, when I changed all of the speakers, and finally when I changed my head unit. So the problem is either the wires or the much more likely cause of a bad amplifier which a local audio shop told me. So I could bypass the amplifier since the head unit has plenty of power but perhaps I could change the amplifier and have the expandability of getting a sub. Would it be possible to just replace the stock amplifier with an aftermarket one and just use all of the existing wires that are already connected to the stock one? If not, what would I have to do/ buy?. Also my explorer did not come with a sub woofer but instead has a storage location where the sub would be, but I would like to put a sub there just like others have it so what would I have to do to do that?

Back