• Register Today It's free!

Component ???

plumcrazylx

Reaction score
City, State
GF, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E/B
Have anybody put components in both front and rear doors? I have 2 sets of the same alpine components, just not sure if I should use them both or put somthing like a 2 or 3 way in the rear doors. Also if you did put components in the rear doors, where did you end up putting the tweeter? Mines a 98 if that helps.

thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.25" components are the easiest, since you can buy plate adapters that have a mounting hole for both the 5.25" midrange and tweeter.

6.5" components just mount the midrange in the stock 6x8 location, so you just have to find a spot on the rear panel where you think a tweeter will work or look good.

id put both mids in the stock locations and have the tweeters up high.. front set in the a pillar and rear set in the B pillar

I don't like tweeters on the rear doors, I find them like an echo or something, not sure how to describe it, I think those woud have to be mounted really accurately so that they work good with the rest of the sound

I'm actually thinking of only using the 6 x 8 sub in the rear doors. Or if I do use the tweeter, i will probably mount it lower in the door. That way I will not have the tweeter screaming right in my ear, if that makes sense. The other option is to sell the second set of components and get a pair of 2 ways and put back there. If someone is interested in a set of alpine sps-571a component speakers brand new let me know.

thanks
ryan

If you got creative and made some custom adapter plates (or modified some), you could probably shift the rear 6.5" over enough to make some room for a flush-mount (or just slightly raised similar to the midrange) tweeter mount in the top/bottom corner. Not all 6x8 mounting locations have as much room as rear Explorer doors, so they don't usually think to do something like that.

I put 6.5" components in. Made my own rings an put the tweets in the only spot they would fit.
I moved the mirror control down and enlarged the existing hole for the tweet. Also had to shave off a peg on the inside of the door panel for the crossover. Pretty tight fit but very doable. I'm very very happy with them.

100_2987.jpg

100_2988.jpg

100_2989.jpg

Looks very cool muzzy!

I'm actually thinking of only using the 6 x 8 sub in the rear doors. Or if I do use the tweeter, i will probably mount it lower in the door. That way I will not have the tweeter screaming right in my ear, if that makes sense. The other option is to sell the second set of components and get a pair of 2 ways and put back there. If someone is interested in a set of alpine sps-571a component speakers brand new let me know.

thanks
ryan

you wont have the tweeter screaming right in your ear at all..the crossovers are almost always adjustable to detentuate ur tweeters and you can also you the EQ on your head unit aswell.

When installing components in your front stage if you're really serious about your sound its far more complicated than just deciding where your speakers will fit.

Ill often spend hours trying different angles of each speaker individually if the customer is really serious about the quality. You also have to remember while doing this to have the drivers seat in the right position for where they sit and if they haven drive with a passenger you should have someone sitting with you to test and adjust accordingly. And also take into consideration your body style compared to theres....im 6'4 so if im working on a shorter persons car i have to try and slouch to adjust my listening position. This is all done before any major building can take place just to know where to install your speakers and with that said typically in an SUV having the mid mounted in the door at the very front bottom corner and having the tweeter higher in the a-pillar at approximately ear level depending on the interior characteristics is what I find to be the best way. Unless ur willing to rework the whole dash and have your mids up front just under ear level in their own enclosures. This is my friends front stage install which has won world finals in sound quality a few times.
IMG_2973.jpg

Back